• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Next Big OC Chip? . . . "

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PoX Freak

If you read the article, and jumped to the link inside it, you might just be an Intel fanboy with a big drooling grin on your face.:drool:
... Or an AMD fanboy whose on the verge of dropping his beloved friends product in lieu of the competitors more appealing product...:confused:
At least thats what Im thinking.
AMD has been in every system I've concocted since 1997, almost 10 years, and I haven't ever thought of building a system based on Intel in those 9 or so years. But this new Conroe thing is building a sort of trust in me. Not because of the price, but the overclocking ability.
Lets face it, when was the last time anyone could possibly get an almost 100% overclock out of anything AMD has made in the past 8 years or so?
I did it once with a K6-2 266, and made it run at 533 with a pelt and water, running a dangerous 3.4 volts on a 2.8 volt core. And it definitely wasn't stable.
If AMD can't come up with something good in the next 6 months or so, guess what?
There'll be a new Intel fanboy in town, because im getting tired of waiting for the next "big thing" to come out.

I'm still on socket A with my current home rig, and it still runs great, but it's getting boring and I want to jump on a new rig.

But I feel kind of cheated...
Thoughts? Ideas? Burn me at the stake?

The E4300 does look like a possible killer overclocker..

800fsb chip on motherboards that can push 1800FSB farily easy and a x9 multi :drool:

Hopefully they clock as well as the rest of the C2D's, it would be a pretty amazing chip.

You performance fanboy ;) :cool: :thup:

Performance nut/fanboy since 1998 with the first gen Athlon slot1 cpus.
I just hope Intel doesn't pull a fast one on us and jump the price or something like that. Performance/Price difference doesn't concur with what I'm used to seeing in the "average" market.
AMD better do something fast or they'll be losing a large portion of the market they now have, however small that may be (AMDs' net worth is the same as Intels' yearly gross profit.
Just another 2 cents...
PoX

They will have the quad core kentfeild to rake in the big bucks, this should be the cheap chip :drool:

killer overclocker? sure is.

CPU to go into my next main system? not likely. E6600 seems a lot more interesting and earlier available, just plop it in, run at stock speeds and get performance that surpasses the best AMD has to offer at the moment, and that's far from bad. The extra money invested I don't see as a loss, if you're hard at work and your system halts because... oh no, that overclock was only 99.999999999999999999998% stable, than you've lost your work, and must start back from scratch, and all that just so you can run SuperPi a few seconds faster?

Give me stability over speed ANY day of the week :)

jmke said:
Give me stability over speed ANY day of the week :)
You're obviously on the wrong forum then :p

I personally have no preference over Intel or AMD, although up until this point I have had AMD, and I'm also still running socket A. I think the chances of my next build having a Conroe processor are pretty strong.

Clockwork_Apple said:
You're obviously on the wrong forum then :p

not really:) silent aircooling is quite on topic here in the forums, you don't need to OC to burn up your CPU and VGA if you want silent cooling and just unplug the fans :mad: (fire!)

do note that in my post I state that it would work in my main rig, workstation, in the other systems I tend to ignore the stability factor ;) Opteron 144 @ 2.7ghz, A64 3000+ @ 2.7Ghz and a whole series of other systems (up to 15 now I think?) which various overclocks.

but in the end, the system you spend the most time one; I want it to boot when I want it to, work 100% stable and not give me any grief. Overclocking has learned me in the past, that it can cause quite a bit of trouble when you want to get something done, but the darn 'puter doesn't want to play along;)

My main gaming rig is a socket A Athlon XP 2700+ with a GF 6600GT. It plays everything currently out fine. I'm not upgrading to get more performance, I don't need any more. I can already play Quake4 and Oblivion on medium - high settings with no problems. I'm upgrading for future upgradeability. Socket AM2 looks extremely promising to me in that respect.

I can upgrade from my AXP to a cheap Sempron, from my DDR to cheap DDR2, from my AGP 6600GT to a PCIE 7600GT, and from my IDE drives to SATA drives for an extremely low cost. And that will already give me a huge increase in perfromance over what I've currently got, and with the AM2 I can put whatever ram and CPU I want in there along with two of whatever the baddest GPU's are when it's time to upgrade again.

I don't need to wait for Conroe, and regardless of how cheap they are, my sempron 3000+ will be cheaper. Conroe boards currently have extremely poor support for SLI and crossfire from what I've read, that's another less headache.

To me, regardless of overclockability and price, the Conroe isn't very appealing. I can get the performance I need from an AM2 system now, and for a price that I can't see a brand new next gen CPU setup beating.

Bad Maniac said:
My main gaming rig is a socket A Athlon XP 2700+ with a GF 6600GT. It plays everything currently out fine.
That's a point I often make in defense of my socket A system. My current rig can run all new games reasonably well, with Oblivion at medium settings, I really see no reason to upgrade until I cannot play new games.

I was planning to upgrade to a cheap A64 system in the next six months or so, with the 3200 Venice at £70 as my main choice, however now looking at Conroe, I think my money may be better invested in a cheap Conroe system in about a years time.

Then again in a year I'm sure there will be other factors/products that will altar my decision.

jmke, I often assume people only have one PC, therefore assumed you don't OC at all prefering absolute stability, how silly of me when you have 15 PCs! :drool:

this is so true:
The best way for AMD to counter that (and maybe more importantly, boost their morale) is to announce that 65nm socket 939s CPUs will be made.
now let's see how long it takes for the penny to drop at AMD. it makes at least as much sense as producing s754 processors with venice cores. like ed says, rather than accept that they're going to lose a lot of the enthusiast market to conroe, AMD should fight to keep that portion of the market that can't/won't afford a full system upgrade.

but after the fratricidal internal struggle that was last year's opteron debacle, who knows?

SiS has dirt cheap Conroe motherboards; P965 Intel based are quite affordable too

it's only flagship 975X chipset mobo's which come with a premium price

mobo cost for ATI R600 or nVidia nForce5 Intel edition are not known yet

There are a few Via and 945P chipset boards as well that are pretty cheap.

965P chipset boards are the cheapest that's going to perform well at the start (they might figure out how to overclock the other ones down the road) and they run about $150 right now.

dippy_skoodlez said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127221

$72.

I wish people would consider this in their CPU evaluations :eek:

What does Skt939 have to offer to someone building there rig up from nothing exactly?
Other then a few cheap motherboards?

and this chip isnt availble untill late this year early next, who's buying a mobo for it now?

Should I link a killer cheap Skt478 overclocker?? :confused:

or this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

$59
And will OC a Conroe to 3Ghz; what clocks would a 939 need to hit to beat that hmmm?? ;)

Last edited:
greenmaji said:
What does Skt939 have to offer to someone building there rig up from nothing exactly?
Other then a few cheap motherboards?

and this chip isnt availble untill late this year early next, who's buying a mobo for it now?

Should I link a killer cheap Skt478 overclocker?? :confused:

or this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

$59
And will OC a Conroe to 3Ghz; what clocks would a 939 need to hit to beat that hmmm?? ;)

Too bad the performance with that mobo doesn't exactly follow its bigger brother intel chipsets ;)

Will that even actually run a conroe? :eek:

Besides, AM2 offers little to no performance gain, so 939 or AM2 doesn;t really matter at this point.

+50% cost for +5-15% performance.

nothanks. I'll be happy with my $130 CPU+mobo combo from AMD and live with 10 less frames per second...

dippy_skoodlez said:
Too bad the performance with that mobo doesn't exactly follow its bigger brother intel chipsets ;)

you see.. it doesnt really matter when you can get a $200 chip to outperform a FX62 on it ;)

dippy_skoodlez said:
Will that even actually run a conroe? :eek:

Why yes, yes it does
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...+VIA+PT880+PRO+ATX+Intel+Motherboard+-+Retail

dippy_skoodlez said:
Besides, AM2 offers little to no performance gain, so 939 or AM2 doesn;t really matter at this point.

+50% cost for +5-15% performance.

nothanks. I'll be happy with my $130 CPU+mobo combo from AMD and live with 10 less frames per second...

la la la la yea I think we all got that.
depends on your game (some are CPU limited :eek: ), and what else you do with your computer. (avi=>DVD NEVER! REALLY!! :confused: )

so.. your going for a $200 combo with less performance then a $260.. I think I would shell out the few extra bucks to have MORE POWER!! :D

conroe does look interesting, looks like a posible future prospect for me, my 4000+ is getting a little slow for my tastes....

a new chalange would be good, even if it ment going over to the 'dark' side...intel

PoX Freak said:
...Not because of the price, but the overclocking ability....I'm still on socket A with my current home rig, and it still runs great, but it's getting boring and I want to jump on a new rig.

Still on socket A here, too. Tough to beat socket A for overall overclocking FUN.

I value stability as well; but I am a performance/overclocking/tweaking fanboy. I am more than happy to continue to support AMD. I don't really need to upgrade yet either, but honestly-AM2 just doesn't seem all that intriguing.

When the time comes, if the mobos improve enough to make Conroe the choice, I'll go Conroe.

greenmaji said:
la la la la yea I think we all got that.
depends on your game (some are CPU limited :eek: ), and what else you do with your computer. (avi=>DVD NEVER! REALLY!! :confused: )

so.. your going for a $200 combo with less performance then a $260.. I think I would shell out the few extra bucks to have MORE POWER!! :D

Intel has not revealed pricing for the new processor yet since it is not to be announced until Q1'07,

Unlike the conroe, I wont have to wait a full quarter.. (prolly longer if intel's production issues.. continue)

which gives AMD a full quarter to handle it the way they wish :rolleyes:

Which i'm still curious where you assumed this $260 price from...

Back