• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server 2003 File Permisions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bert202

Got a bit of a problem going on here. I am working on setting up a Windows Server 2003 domain for roughly 350 users, all using windows XP. The users have roaming profiles and we are relocating the My Documents and Desktop folders to a Staff directory on a File Server.

Anyways, when the user first logs in Windows automaticly creates a folder by their user name in the Staff directory but when the folder is made for some reason it sets the user as owner (which I want) but also propagates the other security settings from the root Staff directory settings, which gives all other users read and write to the folder (which is bad). I turned off the "Inherit from parent the permissions entries..." settings on the Staff folder but new folders are still getting this setting turned on and are pulling all their security settings from the main folder.

Does anyone know how to get windows to automaticly create the folder with just the Owner having permissions?
Thanks guys.

When you set up the folder/desktop redirection in AD there is a checkbox which says "Give user exclusive rights" and then only the USER can access their folder, My Docs and Desktop. Not even the domain admin can access them unless you take ownership of the directory, then give the user full permissions etc etc.
bert202 said:
Got a bit of a problem going on here. I am working on setting up a Windows Server 2003 domain for roughly 350 users, all using windows XP. The users have roaming profiles and we are relocating the My Documents and Desktop folders to a Staff directory on a File Server.

Anyways, when the user first logs in Windows automaticly creates a folder by their user name in the Staff directory but when the folder is made for some reason it sets the user as owner (which I want) but also propagates the other security settings from the root Staff directory settings, which gives all other users read and write to the folder (which is bad). I turned off the "Inherit from parent the permissions entries..." settings on the Staff folder but new folders are still getting this setting turned on and are pulling all their security settings from the main folder.

Does anyone know how to get windows to automaticly create the folder with just the Owner having permissions?
Thanks guys.

I just tested this out on my Server 2003 R2 lab. I have home directories configured in AD to \\server01\Home which is C:\Home and is shared and has ntfs permissions so all users can access that folder. I setup redirection for my documents to go to the user's home folder, and with both exclusive rights checked and unchecked, it inherited the permissions of the parent (home) folder and gave all user's access. This is definitely not supposed to happen.

Yeah the my docs and desktop are getting the correct permissions, not even the admin is able to access but the home folder itself is totally open. Possibly I should hide the home folder and have them only save docs in My Documents/Desktop, or manually set up the permissions for each user when they first login which would be a pain.

bert202 said:
Yeah the my docs and desktop are getting the correct permissions, not even the admin is able to access but the home folder itself is totally open. Possibly I should hide the home folder and have them only save docs in My Documents/Desktop, or manually set up the permissions for each user when they first login which would be a pain.
Yes the home (root directory where the users folders are) is open! This is how it is supposed to be, but users can only access THEIR folder within... I always make the share name Profiles$ so it is hidden...

Back