• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Permissions problem on Server 2003

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

amazon10x

My brother is having a problem with a server application which he has written. I'm asking here because it is a problem which seems to be coming from user permissions. He wrote:

I have an asp.net form that runs a backend c# application. My server is running Windows Server 2003 and is a DHCP server also. My application is running as the network service.

My application uses the netsh.exe utility to access the dhcp database. In order to give it the right permissions, I added the "nt authority\network service" account to the "dhcp administrators" group.

This for whatever reason is not working.

I have tried this with a regular user acount through the command prompt via netsh dhcp and it has worked correctly once I have added this account to the dhcp administrators group.

The netsh utility returns an error code of 1 (%errorlevel% = 1). And outputs the following: "The command needs a valid scope IP address."

I recieve the same error code and message when I run the netsh utility through the command prompt with a regular user account who has not been added to the dhcp administrators group.

Anyone have any ideas?

I had this same problem. For some reason, in order for the network service to give privileges in DHCP admin group, the entire server needs to be restarted (not just the DHCP server service).

Back