• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been out for a WHILE, help with DDR2(dividers/multis?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stockhatch

Ive been stagnant in the OCing dept for a bit so bear with me please....Ok, so I use DDR, and on my P4 system, it is running 1:1, but most OCed DDR systems end up using a DIVIDER once the FSB got too high for the mem to hang. With DDR2 the RAM is now outrunning the FSB right? Meaning we have to actually run the RAM asyncronously with the FSB in the opposite way right? (FSB running a percentage of the RAMs speed?) ie, a new intel system OCd to 250 FSB with DDR2 running at 800. Would the RAM not be running faster than the FSB at this point? You still half the rams numerical designation for the FSB right? So DDR2800 is running at 400MHz doubled to 800 correct?

TIA

You are correct with most of your assumptions. The faster DDR2 typically can handle higher frequencies than FSB nowadays. DDR2 RAM speed is still double the memory frequency just like old fashion DDR. For example, you are running 300 FSB using the 1:1 ratio. That means the memory frequency is 300 MHz or DDR2-600. Let's now say you have some PC2-6400 RAM, so you crank up the memory ratio to 3:4 while leaving the FSB at 300. That means your memory frequency is now running at 400 MHz or DDR2-800.

Back