• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

antivuris disinfection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm trialling Kapersky personal for 30 days, after being fed up with norton's system hogging, and I've found that even when "disinfect when possible" turned on, it will delete any files. Not because they can't be disinfected - some aren't zips or password protected - it just, in the case of a zip file, removes the infected file from the archive. Any ideas as to why this is, and suggestions for alternate A/V programs?

I'm not too sure as to what your problem is, as Im not quite understanding what you are trying to say. Maybe you could just clarify what you mean? Do you want your anti-virus software to delete infected files from archives (zips), and Kapersky is not doing that? or Kapersky is doing it, and you don't want that to happen?

As for alternative A/V Programs, check out --This thread--. It lists a whole bunch of different AV programs that are available, and it also links to different threads on these forums which discuss and rate the different A/V Programs. From there you will be able to see what the rest of our forum members use, and what they have to say about the respected Antivirus Programs.

Raven

raven said:
I'm not too sure as to what your problem is, as Im not quite understanding what you are trying to say. Maybe you could just clarify what you mean? Do you want your anti-virus software to delete infected files from archives (zips), and Kapersky is not doing that? or Kapersky is doing it, and you don't want that to happen?

As for alternative A/V Programs, check out --This thread--. It lists a whole bunch of different AV programs that are available, and it also links to different threads on these forums which discuss and rate the different A/V Programs. From there you will be able to see what the rest of our forum members use, and what they have to say about the respected Antivirus Programs.

Raven

Basicly, I was doing a full system scan. Kapersky has the option to delete all infected files, prompt user for a desision, or disinfect them. My problem is, that it doesn't disinfect them, just deletes them.

invictius said:
Basicly, I was doing a full system scan. Kapersky has the option to delete all infected files, prompt user for a desision, or disinfect them. My problem is, that it doesn't disinfect them, just deletes them.
The thing with Antivirus programs is that if it cannot disinfect a file, it will attempt to rename or delete it. According to Kaspersky's --program history page--, Kaspersky Personal 5.0 does have the capability to disinfect infected files, but as other antivirus programs, it will attempt to rename/quarantine/delete the infected files if disinfection fails.

From my above link (in the previous post), you can test out different antivirus programs as another one might be able to disinfect a particular file that you might need. Unfortunately, there is no way to know which program will disinfect a certain file unless you give it a try yourself (or find someone who has disinfected that file successfully before). Not every program is made the same, and therefore if one might be able to disinfect a certain file, another one might not. It is basically a guessing game as to which program might do the job.

Back