• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i password protect a network shared partition (win 2000)??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kelly Keyboard

Registered
topic^^^

i have a fileserver with 1 partition shared so that i can access it from my pc

i want to password protect this pc so that it requires a password to access this partition (to even browse the partition aswell)

FILESERVER:
workgroup: home_network
user accounts: Administrator, Damien

MY MACHINE
workgroup: home_network
user accounts: Administrator, Damien

both the fileserver and my machine have passwords enabled (and required at logon) for all user accounts and the guest account is disabled on both machines

however when i browse the network share, anyone can wstill access it and there is no password prompt

i had a look in security tab under the sharing section in windows explorer on the win2k box and tried to add in the user but it doesnt work

any ideas/what am i doing wrong?

cheers :)

I'd also like to know if this is possible, under XP (for every computer on the network).

However, there is an easy and secure work-around. If you want real security, set the firewall on the computer you want to share to accept FTP connections, setup a ftp server, and then setup any users you like. This will give you not only security, but overall access to all files you want to share, to do with as you please, and it is much easier to work with a good ftp client.

to do exactly what you want to do, i suggest doing the following:

for whatever folder/partition you wish to share, go to the security tab. select the radio button for "share this folder" like normal, give the share a name, then apply the changes. then on the same tab, click on "permissions". uncheck the "read" checkbox when the group "everyone" is selected. this will disable the ability for everyone to read the share. then click add and type in the username you wish to be able to access the share. set whatever permissions you want (i.e. - full control, write, and/or read access.) simply click ok and ok again on the sharing tab page and you should be set.

please keep in mind that this may not be 100% correct as i am doing this from my windows 2003 server and i can't remember off hand if anything has changed since 2000...

mbentley said:
to do exactly what you want to do, i suggest doing the following:

for whatever folder/partition you wish to share, go to the security tab. select the radio button for "share this folder" like normal, give the share a name, then apply the changes. then on the same tab, click on "permissions". uncheck the "read" checkbox when the group "everyone" is selected. this will disable the ability for everyone to read the share. then click add and type in the username you wish to be able to access the share. set whatever permissions you want (i.e. - full control, write, and/or read access.) simply click ok and ok again on the sharing tab page and you should be set.

please keep in mind that this may not be 100% correct as i am doing this from my windows 2003 server and i can't remember off hand if anything has changed since 2000...

I would remove the "everyone" group entirely and replace it with "authenticated users" and give this group read priveleges, which will make you either be logged under an acceptable username and password, or supply those credentials in order to read the folder.

Back