• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual p2 file server o/s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sephiroth_749

Top ranking SOLDIER officer
im still looking for my dual p2 board but while i am i was wondering what would be a good o/s that has lots of updates and internet upgradablity to make this into a file server.

What are your needs in terms of number of users accessing the server? How much can you spend on the OS?

Basically you can go Windows XP Pro, and be limited to 10 concurrent connections. Windows Server 2003 and get rid of that limitation at some expense. Or Linux, basically any flavor you like, for free and use SAMBA.

Heck, I'm not a cheap person, and I wouldn't spend all that money on a Windows Server OS for personal file server use. Go with a Linux OS.

dwschoon said:
You can download a 180 day eval of server 2003 enterprise to try it out.

Just load that on a small drive for the OS and keep the storage drives separate from the OS drive. Don't like that version of the software, get a different one. Your old files wont be trashed. I have my file server with a 3.5GB main drive. (OS, anti virus) and the storage is 160GB.

Back