• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Media Player 11 Beta problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

infini

Hi,

I recently installed Windows Media Player 11 Beta cause v.10 stopped being able to play any mpeg,mpg etc. heh, still wont play em. BUT Now I have a really annoying problem where when I play a movie it goes full screen on my other monitor, no matter what I do. I can't even play my WinTV now cause it goes to Full screen on the monitor I use to work on.

Strange.

Back in the day I also learned the hard way never to install a new Microsoft Media Player without doing a drive image of my OS partition.

When Windows Media Player 9 first came out, it could not be uninstalled and prevented games like NHL 2003 from working.

Reinstalling Windows (and not updating Windows Media Player to version 9) was the official fix (!) for this problem...

Microsoft Media Player installations make irreversible changes to your system and offer little in return that I do not plan on upgrading the Media Player ever.

I fear your only solution in the end is to reinstall Windows XP, apply Service Pack 2 which updates the Media Player to version 9, then never upgrade it to 10, 11 or any future versions without at least doing this:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=214369

Yah I think I blew it with that dumb install. installing codecs did not change anything, K-lite wants me to un-install dVix? Should I?

It's included in the basic version, along with other codecs you're likely to need.

Don't forget to reboot before testing when you reinstall codecs...

I also like to uninstall both QuickTime & RealPlayer and use the QuickTime Alternative & RealAlternative instead.

They come with Media Player Classic which has an internal decoder that plays....everything.

During installation it says codex and regestries are missing and such. What should I do? delete or ignore?

update: never mind that :) I installed everything and still same prob. after reboot. ****er! I also loaded Vista 64bit and tried the media player. Hmm, the problem was not there? Is this even a Media Player problem? Well teh Mpegs yes, they still wont play all but for WMF. But the full screen issue might be related to something else?

Last edited:
YAY! figured it out. looked and disabled full screen in the Nvidia settings. It was never a prob before so.... I guess something was changed somewhere and I did not know it.

Back