• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Website Building?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fluxburn

I can't believe I still have never made a website, but I want too know. Does anyone know a good place for file hosting, free or paid cheap. Should I just use FrontPage or what?

Fluxburn said:
I can't believe I still have never made a website, but I want too know. Does anyone know a good place for file hosting, free or paid cheap. Should I just use FrontPage or what?

Dreamhost has great, cheap hosting. You will still have to register a domain name, which is like 5$-10$/year. If you want to start programming a website, you should use a simple text editor like MS Notepad or Gedit. If you want to just do a couple pages and be done with it, I'd recommend Nvu or Dreamweaver.

Either way, if you want to learn how to use HTML, JavaScript, or PHP for a website, here you go: http://www.w3schools.com/

Thanks man. Does a site exist like this for C or should I just take that at my community college?

Fluxburn said:
Thanks man. Does a site exist like this for C or should I just take that at my community college?

This is a pretty good site for learning how to program in C.

Anyhow, have you decided which one of those applications you want to use for working on that website, and whether you want to learn to code HTML or just do the website?

Anyone know about those rating systems, so I can have customers give me 5 stars and say it was good service? I want to put some pictures in my website in a little java? application that looks all cool.

Last edited:
I want to use OScommerce to run my site
http://www.oscommerce.com/
So I can setup my desktop to run linux and then pay for a domain and have a website, I don't think I can run this on batcave

Man all the nice websites use java... some my site will look like crap because I don't know it yet.

Last edited:
tspier2 said:
Dreamhost has great, cheap hosting. You will still have to register a domain name, which is like 5$-10$/year. If you want to start programming a website, you should use a simple text editor like MS Notepad or Gedit. If you want to just do a couple pages and be done with it, I'd recommend Nvu or Dreamweaver.

Either way, if you want to learn how to use HTML, JavaScript, or PHP for a website, here you go: http://www.w3schools.com/

Jebus, thanks for this! i was looking for this.

:beer:

I have been using www.canaca.com for three years now. They have three packages which are very reasonable. Ive have very little downtime and am happy with the service.

As for what to use to make your site... Id highly recommend Dreamweaver...

Good luck :)

No "nice website" uses Java. Sometimes they use JavaSCRIPT but that's something totally different from Java.

Start learning HTML and CSS. if you know a bit of it (without tools like frontpage and dreamweaver), start with PHP. Last but not least C. If you want you can start with C in between, especially if you have something particular in mind you want to program.

Back