• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OS Boot Loader

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
Maybe this goes under OS... but screw it.

I have two HDs. One of them has Windows XP and 2003 Server, and I want to put Fedora on the other one.

I used to use XOSL many a year ago for this task, but I was wondering what the best current loader would be?

Basically I want to install Linux on Drive 2. So the Linux boot loader will be on drive 2, but I want an independant boot loader on Drive 1 because the last time I had the linux boot loader on Drive 1 and Linux on Drive 2... Drive 2 crashed and I had to go through hell on earth to get back into Windows.

So I want an independant boot loader on Drive one that I can either direct to Windows or the Linux boot loader.

Hmm... Grub shoudl work fine. Install with Grub bootloader on disc 2, and have the system boot from HD2. If you ever need to 'reverse' this, just change it back to HD1, and it will be like Fedora never existed.

TollhouseFrank said:
Hmm... Grub shoudl work fine. Install with Grub bootloader on disc 2, and have the system boot from HD2. If you ever need to 'reverse' this, just change it back to HD1, and it will be like Fedora never existed.

Thanks for the help I'll try it tonight or tomorrow morning :)

TollhouseFrank said:

I completed step one. The trick was that Fedora would ONLY allow me to install onto disk one so I had to unplug disk one and THEN install to disk 2. So now all I have to do is plug disk 1 back in and Grub should either detect XP and 2003 server or I should be able to type them in.

Thanks again :)

Back