• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting XP to another hard drive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crfracer290

Ok, my friend has a pretty old computer, runs alright, except hard drive. For some reason it makes loud noises and freezes, but thats beside the point. Anyways, I am letting him have a 160 gb hitachi hard drive that I dont have use for and he is going to give his old hard drive to his little brother (even though it hardley works). My question is, how would I go about installing xp on his new hard drive, he doesnt want any of his old data, just xp. I played around with some programs and read a few things on here but I couldnt seem to get anywhere.If anyone could give me some advice, or link me to another topic that covers this (I am a horrible searcher, sorry) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks alot guys, Matt

If he doesn't want any of the old data you should reinstall windows on the new hard drive.

That is the cleanest, easiest way to do it.

Ah, sorry, I forgot to mention that he cannot find the cd. He bought Windows Home to replace win2k that was originally on the computer, and we cannot find it. So we are going to have to get it off his old hdd, if thats possible...I think it is...

CasperXP will copy one drive to another, even if they aren't the same size, and make it bootable as well. You won't need the original CD so long as you install the new drive in the same computer.

Back