• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slowwww

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayboykb

Hey - simple question is what are some things that can revert your cpu back to normal?

and to go into detail.. I have an 80 gig hard drive with about 17 gigs left, on a clean reformat it's lightning fast, i can play games, watch videos and listen to music all at the same time with no slowdown, but now it's really slow. It feels like my cpu's constantly doing something, today i couldn't even watch a simple video without getting some choppiness here and there. Even as I type this my hard drive is making load noises when I don't have any virus scanners or anything else running in the background.

Is it the lack of space that I have left or am I going to have to find what's slowing everything down?

Amount of space left on a hard drive has nothing to do with how fast your computer runs. The amount of programs running in the background affects the speed of your computer.

Look at the task manager to see how many services are running. The number should be below 40 for a computer with anti-virus, firewall, and printer software installed. Also, see if any of these programs are using the CPU. Lastly, run spybot.

That's what I thought. It's only 2 applications running but about 65 processes going on. I have to figure out which ones to stop.

Stopping them will only temporairly fix the problem. Make sure you get rid of the application responsible for the service.

msconfig is your friend.

Back