• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woah, background tasks ZOMG

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tropicaldawn

lol.jpg

My friend has the exact same PC as me except I changed the mobo, added 512 RAM, changed from P4 2.7ghz to a CelD 2.26ghz and installed a 9600XT.

When I exit all the TS2U tasks that I can the PC uses 200M/1847M.

On her PC, the PC uses 130/1847 and then when she exits the unneccessary tasks it goes down to 99M/1847M.

Why does my PC have so many system tasks and how do I get rid of them?

My friend has the exact same PC as me except...added 512 RAM....installed a 9600XT.

This is one reason at least

Why does my PC have so many system tasks and how do I get rid of them?

Cause you have installed so much uneeded software which among other things adds a lot of useless services.

lol, when you say exact, and you change the heart and soul of a pc (motherboard, cpu, vid card, mem), then you do not have the exact same pc anymore.

But back to the topic. Many different things can affect the amount of processes that a computer uses. Installing different drivers, different programs, different updates, or even having different services running in the background would all change how the computer behaves. Without knowing exactly what is on both of your computers, or without having physical access, it would be difficult to specifically locate everything that is changing your --Commit Charge--, but you yourself can get a better grasp on things by reading the previous link. From quickly skimming your process list, I can tell you that ATI drivers use quite a few processes, and that could be one thing that is adding to your memory usage.

As to getting rid of certain processes, I would recommend that you download --Codestuff Starter--. This program will give you a list of programs that run on boot-up, a more detailed task manager process list, and a detailed list of running services. I would carefully go through each and every entry to determine if it is vital to your computer, and then disable any that you do not need. To find out what each process does, just use google and some common sense. If you want more information on the services side fo things, then you can search google, and then cross reference your findings with --The Elder Geek-- and --Black Viper--.

After everything is said and done, you should end up more aware of how your computer works, have a better understanding of what is running in the background, and have a more optimized computer. And if you need any more help, just post back here, and we can work together to get things sorted out.

Raven

Last edited:
Thats nothing.. Friend of mine complained about his puter being slow so i asked him to check how many processes he had.. I almost fell out of my chair when he told me a little over 180. I didnt even think that was possible...

CGR said:
Thats nothing.. Friend of mine complained about his puter being slow so i asked him to check how many processes he had.. I almost fell out of my chair when he told me a little over 180. I didnt even think that was possible...
ZOMFG!!!!!!! 180...lol
Maximum for me was 70 when I had like 3 games open, and like 15 additional programs lol.

I know it was a shock when he told me. The computer was totally open to the internet on a DSL line and it was not XP it was 2000 with a low service pack. He had trojans and spyware up the wazoo....

Back