• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddr2 667 or 800 for my conroe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Core 2 Extreme

Just need some advice on what memory I should be getting for my Conroe x6800. Do i go with 667 or 800? I am not an overclocker so I will be using it the way it is outa the box, I do a lot of gaming tho. Thanx!

If you're not OCing you'll probably be fine with a 667 / 4-4-4-12. I recommend getting 2gb tho. Levels load a lot faster.

Core 2 Extreme said:
Just need some advice on what memory I should be getting for my Conroe x6800. Do i go with 667 or 800? I am not an overclocker so I will be using it the way it is outa the box, I do a lot of gaming tho. Thanx!

2 x 1 gigs of ram comes first. Then the speed. If you can find the money, go for DDR-2 800.

oh yea deffinately getting a 2x1 gb dual channel kit no question about that, the money is not a problem either as I was originally thinking of 1066 but someone said it wouldnt be worth the price if im not OC'ing, the reason im asking 667 or 800 is I heared if I leave my fsb at 1066 the ddr2-800 might be more of a bottleneck for my pc then ddr2-667, is this at all true or 800 will ultimately perform better and would be fine to get?

If the answer is "yes it will be fine" then here is another little question for you guys, i am going for Corsair memory and after researching it a bit I found it says this:
SPD programmed at:
JEDEC standard 5-5-5-18 values at
800MHz
EPP standard 4-4-4-12-2T, 2.1V values at
800MHz

So can someone tell me if I understand this correctly, if i pop this ram in and leave it on auto settings the bios will set it to 5-5-5-18, but it can just as well achieve the 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V if I set it manually to that?

Last edited:
Core 2 Extreme said:
So can someone tell me if I understand this correctly, if i pop this ram in and leave it on auto settings the bios will set it to 5-5-5-18, but it can just as well achieve the 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V if I set it manually to that?
Yup. Not sure about the other stuff tho.

While DDR2-667 will be ok for a modest O/C, but if you are pushing high FSB, like wanting to hit 400 FSB, then you better get DDR2-800.

Back