• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Ram.. some questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WolfwoodXLV

Hey, I am new on the forums, but I have been reading quite a bit lately. For a year now I have been using 2x512 Corsair XMS PC3200XL with tightened timings to 2-2-2-5 1T etc etc... I have just purchased a set of 2x1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 (because I found it for very very cheap) and I have yet to play with it. As of now it is running at 3-3-3-8, but I believe I can take it down to at least 2-3-3-6. Are there any existing articles about this 2Gig set or can anyone give me any tips? The first thing I did was try to run it at 1T, but my computer decided to not post at all no matter what I did and I have to reset my CMOS :(

Thanks for the help,
Dan

ack

Thanks for the advice.. unfortunately, the RAM does not have the stickers on it anymore. I checked and it is just a blank (and midly sticky) spot - The person who sold these to me must have taken them off, which does not make me feel too good lol.... Although CPU-Z shows them as being CMX1024-3200 sticks, so I know they are the real thing. I just can't get the lot# etc.

I think I will probably just go from scratch and play with the settings one by one. See how far I can tighten the ram without any overclocking.

I just wonder if having 2 Gigs of this stuff is better or worse than 1 Gig (2x512) of fully tightened Corsair XMS PC3200XL 1T 2-2-2-5. hmm.. i think it is! I might just try to resell the 2Gig kit, since I got it cheap as hell.

I'm going to reply in this thread, instead of creating my own, since the OP has the same memory as me (sorry for the side-jack, heh)

I've been wondering about upgrading to 2GB total, but since I have the above 2x512 modules which were very expensive (and still are, even though it's prices have dropped) I'm reluctant to just add 2x1GB modules.

The thing is, what is the best upgrade path? I read that 4x512mb would slow my system down, so that got me wondering......
Do I just get any A-grade 2x512 modules and plug&play, do I get ANOTHER set of 2x512 PC3200XL and set them all to 2-2-2-5 1T, or just bite the bullet and replace the whole kit with 2x1GB (I think I'd cry if I had to do that...)?
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Oh yeah, I plan to upgrade to a 7900GT and 4600/4800X2 in the not to near future, if that has any relevance. I do like to multi-task alot...

WolfwoodXLV said:
Thanks for the advice.. unfortunately, the RAM does not have the stickers on it anymore.

I just wonder if having 2 Gigs of this stuff is better or worse than 1 Gig (2x512) of fully tightened Corsair XMS PC3200XL 1T 2-2-2-5. hmm.. i think it is! I might just try to resell the 2Gig kit, since I got it cheap as hell.
You could take off the heat spreders and look at the chips. They will have printing on then that identifies the ICs.

In general 2x512 will OC better than 2x1gig, but at all depends on alot of other stuff too. The best way is to just try both.

Gabber359 said:
I'm going to reply in this thread, instead of creating my own, since the OP has the same memory as me (sorry for the side-jack, heh)

I've been wondering about upgrading to 2GB total, but since I have the above 2x512 modules which were very expensive (and still are, even though it's prices have dropped) I'm reluctant to just add 2x1GB modules.

The thing is, what is the best upgrade path? I read that 4x512mb would slow my system down, so that got me wondering......
Do I just get any A-grade 2x512 modules and plug&play, do I get ANOTHER set of 2x512 PC3200XL and set them all to 2-2-2-5 1T, or just bite the bullet and replace the whole kit with 2x1GB (I think I'd cry if I had to do that...)?
Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Oh yeah, I plan to upgrade to a 7900GT and 4600/4800X2 in the not to near future, if that has any relevance. I do like to multi-task alot...
First off PC2100 memory will be useless (or, let's just say a bottleneck) with your planned upgrade.

Gammer: Get 2x1gig memory that will run at the FSB (without a divider) you will be using.

Gamming with some OCing: same:

Just Ocing: 2x512 (It will usually run lower latencies) and the same about FSB.

For all three options the memory that will run the lowest latencies will be the best choice.

And you'll have to upgrade that PSU too.

Well.. after a few days of using the 2GB.. I don't feel any difference nor have I really used more than 1GB anyways. It seems like even during gaming and whatnot, it is the CPU speed that matters the most for multitasking and 1GB of RAM can keep up fine. I think I am going to go back to my 2x512 setup of the 2-2-2-5 stuff because it runs a LOT faster!

billb said:
First off PC2100 memory will be useless (or, let's just say a bottleneck) with your planned upgrade.

Gammer: Get 2x1gig memory that will run at the FSB (without a divider) you will be using.

Gamming with some OCing: same:

Just Ocing: 2x512 (It will usually run lower latencies) and the same about FSB.

For all three options the memory that will run the lowest latencies will be the best choice.

And you'll have to upgrade that PSU too.

Hehe, New Rig, not the old one, but ty for the input regardless :) and Wolf, seeing as what you just said with regards to 2GB, I guess I'll forget the memory upgrade for the time being....

Back