• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

legally... How many computers in my home...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Where can I read this, not that I dont belive you but I searched around before I posted here & canot find any offical info.

not shure. on my old laptop it had windows xp pro and on the sticker it states 1-2 cpu. could that be 1 to 2 computers?. any who i hate microsoft but then again who dosent lol.

No it means 1-2 CPU computers. Some computers have more than one CPU. All dualcore ones now for example.

There are versions youi're allowed to install on several computers:copies from MSDN and special copies for companies with many computers (volume license). However if you have one of those you'd already knew that and wouldn't have to ask. So no, only one and one only computer per Windows license. And yes,

MS can tell if you do install it on several computers. They might or might not care actually, but they can bust you anytime they want and sue you successfully for several thousand dollars even when the software is only worth a hundred or so.

Dualcore's do not have more then 1 CPU

1-2 CPU means 2 phsyical sockets. core's do not count as CPU's.

Even P4 HT counts as 2 CPUs logically for purposes of the OS. So yes, Dualcore counts as 2 CPUs in your Windows install. Just look into your taskmanager.

@Cyrix_2k: what special conditions exactly? I know there is such a deal for Office, but I haven't heard anything about Windows itself yet.

klingens said:
Even P4 HT counts as 2 CPUs logically for purposes of the OS. So yes, Dualcore counts as 2 CPUs in your Windows install. Just look into your taskmanager.

@Cyrix_2k: what special conditions exactly? I know there is such a deal for Office, but I haven't heard anything about Windows itself yet.
I believe you have to be the sole user of both systems. The laptop is a "Mobile extension" of the desktop system in this case. AFAIK, It's only valid for a retail copy of XP Pro.

The EULA or Windows XP Home Edition found here on Microsofts homepage states the following :-
1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than one processor at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.
The EULA for Windows XP Professional Edition found here on Microsofts hompage states the following :-
1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.

It appears that the answer is one single computer :D

fireandice said:
not shure. on my old laptop it had windows xp pro and on the sticker it states 1-2 cpu. could that be 1 to 2 computers?. any who i hate microsoft but then again who dosent lol.
One. Uno. Nada mas.

Dualcore's do not have more then 1 CPU
I know lots of computer scientists and engineers who disagree with that. ;) Dual-core machines count as dual CPU machines. I don't know where Microsoft wound up with per-socket licensing.

any who i hate microsoft but then again who dosent lol.
Then stop buying their cruftware(tm).

There are versions youi're allowed to install on several computers:copies from MSDN and special copies for companies with many computers (volume license). However if you have one of those you'd already knew that and wouldn't have to ask. So no, only one and one only computer per Windows license. And yes,
There's a few ways that a home user could get a VLK--volume license key--and none of 'em are legal. :cool:

klingens said:

According to microsoft licensing CPU=sockets. Pro can be installed on 2 socket systems. Home cannot. (IIRC)

So when you see a licensing thing that says 1-2 CPUs, it means 1 or 2 physical CPUs not whether they are dual core or not.

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/multicore.mspx

As for in generality... I will continue to refer to a dual core processors as a Single CPU.

Other wise we all have to change how we speak and start referring to our dual core CPUs' not our Dual core CPU's (plural vs singular possessive ;) )

I have been wondering this...
The Software may not be used by more than two (2) processors at any one time on any single Workstation Computer.
It states at "any one time". So you can have it installed on several computers, but only one can be running with it at a time. What do u think?

ps2cho said:
I have been wondering this...

It states at "any one time". So you can have it installed on several computers, but only one can be running with it at a time. What do u think?

No this is not legal as the EULA states in section 1.1 for both Pro and Home as shown in my previous post

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access, display and run one copy of the Software on a single computer,

Note it states Single Computer... this means you can install it only on ONE computer

jajmon said:
notice how the OP went south as every one got in to the fray with their 2 cents.

I have two cars, I buy a license for car a, can I put that on car b, he** no.

If you can't figure that out,,,,,,,,

Its a valid question jajimon

If I rember right during windows 98 dayes you could own "purchased" 1 copy of win98v2 & install it on all computers in your house.......

maybe Im rembering wrong tho.....

yup as ppl have said b 4 its 1 install per copy of windows... unless you have a lil thing i like to call a "loophole optimizer" that.... well i cant explain here and its a very small thing and very easy to use... but i have probably gone WAY to far...

1 instll per 1 copy... thats it thats final... and my main comp is a fully legit copy of windows BTW.

Back