• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Invalid Partition" error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
I've already got a thread started on the Althernative OS thread, but just figured I'd cover my rear-end here as well.

I was trying to get Linux (on my disk 2) to load Windows XP and Windows 2003 server (on Disk 1) Though I didn't want grub to install to Disk 1 so that I could avoid exactly the problem I'm having now. So I would just switch the jumpers to that the system would boot to disk 2 and run Linux and back to disk 1 to run windows.

So with Linux as disk1 I ran:
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

And now when I try to switch the drives back I get an "Invalid partition error" (on the windows disk)

I know there are a million ways to fix this... The Windows XP boot disc... any number of discs really. I tried running fdisk off of a Windows 98 boot disc but it just froze on me. I'm pretty sure though that if I just set the thing to active the partition would be fine.

What's the easiest way to do that?

Right now this is just a cute little Linux problem that I'm working through. But if I don't have it all figured out by Monday morning, I'M FIRED!

Captain Newbie said:
From the other thread, looks like somehow you set a bad magic on the other partition.

The XP bootdisc could (and typically does) hose your grub...

That won't matter really. Because I have Linux setup on a completely different HD. I could just unplug that and let the XP bootdisc do it's thing on the Windows hard drive. I just really wanted to figure out how to fix it from within linux... But seeing as the drive has critical info... I'd better figure out the linux thing another time.

Booting to XP boot disc.

Back