• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proper way to uninstall/install new drivers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zatrix

What is the proper way to uninstall drivers to install new ones for a video card.

As of now I just go to add/remove programs remove the old drivers.

Reboot

Double click on the new drivers i downloaded

Install

Reboot

Done

Ive been doing that for a long time. Is that that right way or is there a better way? What is wrong with the way ive been doing it if its wrong?

Forgot to add if there were any side effects of remove/add if done that way instead of using a program to uninstall the drivers.

What i really want to know is why cant they make it easy to update them? a simple update button would be SOOO much easier. But then again companies love to see us struggle for hours just to update something

you need drivercleaner pro

google it and download it it's free. read the instructions and use it. What it does. is completely clean off the old drivers so you can put new ones as if there were never drivers before.

I used to do it your way, and after abou a month or 2 with the new drivers, i kept getting a BSOD with an erroe like DRIVER_NOT_EQUAL or something. I now use drivercleaner pro and I've never had a problem.

Zatrix said:
As of now I just go to add/remove programs remove the old drivers | Reboot | Double click on the new drivers i downloaded | Install | Reboot | Done.
This is the procedure I've always used, and is also the recommended method by nVidia... and never as I recall had any issues.

I also do the Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the drivers from there. I then go into safe mode, and use Driver Cleaner Pro which ensures that it removes any residue from those drivers that may be left over; whether they may be in your registry or file system. I then install the drivers in safe mode and then reboot back into normal mode.

Back