• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speed vs timing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cradivonyk

I am sure this is an uber-noob question, but for a standard non or slightly OCed system, would it be better to buy say DDR2 667 with 4-4-4-12 timings over DDR2 800 5-5-5-15? Something is telling me 'yes' but I just want to make sure.

Speed generally beats tight timings with today's systems. But there will be a crossover point where a "little" overclock can revise the general answer. Run a few tests, the proof is always in tasteing the pudding. :beer:

It depends a lot on the system also. A P4 needs more speed then timings due to the architecture of the cpu. However like an AMD or Conroe could benefit a lot from tight timings. Anyway in this case I would say go speed; but then again I don't know what kind of system you have.

tenchi86 said:
It depends a lot on the system also. A P4 needs more speed then timings due to the architecture of the cpu. However like an AMD or Conroe could benefit a lot from tight timings. Anyway in this case I would say go speed; but then again I don't know what kind of system you have.
Well, the system I am building is up in the air. I am torn between a C2D E6300 or an X2 3800+ AM2. The biggest setback for me right now is the motherboard availability for C2D. Although I can't start ordering parts for another 3 weeks (waiting for my financial aid refund from school).

I thought Conroe wasnt very dependent on the timings and they enjoyed the extra speed boost more. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Well, when you're near the edge of OC stability with an Intel system it becomes a bit of trial and error really. Since you only overclock the FSB you can't set the RAM speed independent of the RAM or CPU speed, and assuming either the RAM or CPU is the limiting factor, it can become a choice between more CPU speed with slower memory timings or vice versa. Sometimes a slightly slower CPU speed with tight timings is better and sometimes vice versa. If the CPU has a lot more headroom with slower mem timings then faster CPU speed is usually better, if worse timings only give a small CPU increase then faster mem timings might be better.

P4s definitely love bandwidth from more speed, I'm not sure about Conroe personally but as far as I know with them it seems like the CPU is not going to be the limiter so slower mem timings could result in large CPU gains.

As for the OP ;) if it's truly going to be a stock or slight oc only, then try for tight timings at the stock FSB. However, high-speed rated memory can usually be run with better timings when it's run at slower speeds so if you can find a good price on some fast-speed/slower timing memory it might give you the best of both worlds - tight timings at stock speed and the option to oc with loose timings.

Last edited:
Depends on the system, generally top speed wins on Intel platforms, where w/ A64 timings are a little more important.

inkfx said:
I thought Conroe wasnt very dependent on the timings and they enjoyed the extra speed boost more. Please correct me if I am wrong.

My thoughts exactly. Everything i haver read says bandwitch > timings.

Back