• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton Antivirus 2006 vs 2003 your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I have Norton AV 2003 Pro edition, only because later versions were such resource hogs. But in the past couple of days the software is now doing odd things.

1. It used to download virus definitions silently, now I am prompted to get the definition. (even though all checks are for autodownload)

2. It now prompts me everyday to get virus definitions

3. Lastly, it says my virus definitions are out of date as of 6/14/2006 no matter how often I download these 20 things it says its downloading.

My subscription is defininitely not out of date.

So I wonder what's going on. And Symantec doesn't support my software w/online support anymore!!!

So I wonder, should I move on and get 2006??? If not...what do people recommend to trouble shoot my software?

2005 was a load of crap, and I've heard 2006 is worse. Either move on to something like AVG or NOD32, or see if you can get a cheap Symantec Corporate license.

Hmm...is NOD32 that good..I wouldn't know I have read how peeps like it.

But everytime I ask a question about software choices, I get tons of informed answers which is great, but also get tons of people that have had problems too..So I basically stay w/Norton..but since 2003, I haven't moved up because of the resource hog issues.

grumperfish said:
2005 was a load of crap, and I've heard 2006 is worse. Either move on to something like AVG or NOD32, or see if you can get a cheap Symantec Corporate license.

Actually NAV2006 is half decent, NAV2005 was a headache and then some...

For me to rectify my NAV2005 nightmare took some time, but I'm stubborn and got it sorted out. Not sure if you want to go through the Symantec gauntlet to get a resolution, but it's possible if you don't give up.

Silversinksam said:
Actually NAV2006 is half decent, NAV2005 was a headache and then some...

For me to rectify my NAV2005 nightmare took some time, but I'm stubborn and got it sorted out. Not sure if you want to go through the Symantec gauntlet to get a resolution, but it's possible if you don't give up.

I read your problems!! How did you ever speak w/Norton though. They do everything via email for years I thought?

Viper69 said:
I read your problems!! How did you ever speak w/Norton though. They do everything via email for years I thought?

DON'T use the PriorityCare Telephone Support since they charge you $9.95 a call

Instead use this FREE telephone option, call is not toll free.

StandardCare Telephone Support *

585-350-0400 - Please note that long distance charges may apply

I stay away from norton the last norton that I had was 2003. After that newer releases were worse. Norton consumes lots of resources, casued more problems for the system that I had.

Nod 32 is pretty good, especially on slow system becasue it doesn't hinder pc peformance by slowing it down.

Silversinksam said:
DON'T use the PriorityCare Telephone Support since they charge you $9.95 a call

Instead use this FREE telephone option, call is not toll free.

StandardCare Telephone Support *

585-350-0400 - Please note that long distance charges may apply

I can NEVER find their phone number...where was it.haha...Man, THANKS!!

meionm said:
I stay away from norton the last norton that I had was 2003. After that newer releases were worse. Norton consumes lots of resources, casued more problems for the system that I had.

Nod 32 is pretty good, especially on slow system becasue it doesn't hinder pc peformance by slowing it down.

I have to say I have had great results w/Norton. Though even 2003 is a bit resource happy. I used to have Symantec on my Mac back when they were their own company decades ago...

I do like their user interface quite a bit, very grahical/user friendly.

How is Nod32's GUI??? WHAT makes Nod32 less resource intensive, and it appears to be so much faster from what I have heard than NAV. I mean the short answer is "good programming"...but that doesn't explain it to me.

Ever since Norton went to such lengths to keep their consumers from calling them, by having tech support via email and online databases, I got pretty ****ed off.

Viper69 said:
How is Nod32's GUI??? WHAT makes Nod32 less resource intensive, and it appears to be so much faster from what I have heard than NAV. I mean the short answer is "good programming"...but that doesn't explain it to me.

i dont think NOD32 is so great when it was pointed out in the antivirus comparison to be worse then %75 of the other programs out there, norton 2006 was in the top 5.

Ive hated all versions of norton, i use Kaspersky personal and i love it. Havent found anything better yet.

i am using kapersky 6 Inet suite - i got it for a few comps at work, and honestly, it does slow a system down, so i tried only the anti-v 6 and it too slows down systems

this is a p4 2.4 400FSB / 512 of rambus and an 80g 7200 rpm drive and it is slow to open files, or browse and the such.

Ive been running 2003 all along. I cant complain as it updates auto. When it expires I just uninstall it and reinstall and it gives me another year. Why fix what aint broke :D

i personally use the avg free edition and love it. i even leave it running when i game and dont have a problem at all.

i used nav 03 version before that and would do the same thing uninstall and reinstall and have another year. when i heard how bad 05 was i switched to avg. i love it and wont go back to nav.

Viper69 said:
How is Nod32's GUI?
Functional.

I have attached windows shots of the NOD32 2.51.26 Control Center and On-Demand Scanner.

Attachments

• scan.gif
    scan.gif
    25.7 KB · Views: 57
  • control.gif
    control.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 53
Back