• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rookie needs some RAM ?'s answered...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2Haywire

Ok, I have some questions, and I know you've probably all heard them before, but everything I find via google is "russian" to me.
First off, it was my understanding, that with 2 sticks of identicle RAM, the memory was always read "back and forth" from the first stick to the second...even without dual channel. Is this correct? I understand that with an 800 mhz FSB and 2 DDR 400 sticks in dual channel, that it reads back and forth and this would be optimal. But even with single channel, isn't the RAM read "back and forth" slower than a dual channel setup, but still quicker than having a single stick of RAM?
Also, my current setup: ASRock P4s61 board (No dual channel capabilities that I know of), P4 2.81 Ghz Celeron (not hyperthreading capable), 800 mhz FSB, 1 stick PC 2100(133 MHz) 256 MB, 1 stick PC 2700(166 MHz) 256 MB.
CPU-Z -
Core Speed = 2806.4 MHz
Multiplyer = X 21.0
FSB = 133.6 MHz
BUS speed = 534.5 MHz

I realise that the RAM in my system is NOT what it should be, I just bought the system used for $150 and that's what was in it. If I bought 2 sticks of DDR400 (512 mb) what kind of performance increase would I get?
Also, is this "Hyperthreading" thing that important? Should I buy a processor that supports Hyperthreading? Or is the Celeron ok?
Thanks for all your help, and again...I'm sorry for the stupid questions....I'm just not all that "computer literate".

Or.....if nobody wants to answer my questions.....could someone point me to a thread that does?

2Haywire said:
Ok, I have some questions, and I know you've probably all heard them before, but everything I find via google is "russian" to me.
First off, it was my understanding, that with 2 sticks of identicle RAM, the memory was always read "back and forth" from the first stick to the second...even without dual channel. Is this correct? I understand that with an 800 mhz FSB and 2 DDR 400 sticks in dual channel, that it reads back and forth and this would be optimal. But even with single channel, isn't the RAM read "back and forth" slower than a dual channel setup, but still quicker than having a single stick of RAM?
Also, my current setup: ASRock P4s61 board (No dual channel capabilities that I know of), P4 2.81 Ghz Celeron (not hyperthreading capable), 800 mhz FSB, 1 stick PC 2100(133 MHz) 256 MB, 1 stick PC 2700(166 MHz) 256 MB.
CPU-Z -
Core Speed = 2806.4 MHz
Multiplyer = X 21.0
FSB = 133.6 MHz
BUS speed = 534.5 MHz

I realise that the RAM in my system is NOT what it should be, I just bought the system used for $150 and that's what was in it. If I bought 2 sticks of DDR400 (512 mb) what kind of performance increase would I get?
Also, is this "Hyperthreading" thing that important? Should I buy a processor that supports Hyperthreading? Or is the Celeron ok?
Thanks for all your help, and again...I'm sorry for the stupid questions....I'm just not all that "computer literate".

Well, PC3200(DDR400) is for systems with a processor that runs with a 800Mhz FSB, that system only has a 533Mhz FSB. If you want to update that system IMO, you would need a new processor with 800mhz FSB and HT support. Then get the 1Gb(2x512) PC3200, that would help a lot.

Back