• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

microsoft server 2003

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big_Tex

what are the difference between these.
MS WIN SB SERVER 2003 5 CAL USER
Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
MS WIN SB SERVER 2003 STD OEM W/5CAL
MS WIN SB SERVER 2003 PREMIUM W/5CAL OEM
MS WINDOWS 2003 SERVER LICENSE -5 USER
MS WINDOWS 2003 R-2 STND SERVER W/ 5LIC.
How are they different and which one would a office with 10 local users and 5 remote users need all machines have xp pro installed legal edition yes they are all legal.The server they have now has wint nt building them new server so need to know what version of 2003 server to use on it.Thanks
here are the specs of the server

2 INTEL XEON 3.0 1U 800 FSB 2MB RETAIL BOX
INTEL SE7520/800/DXEON/6DC/1PE/1PX/2P/2G
2 GB PC-2700 DUAL CHANNEL KIT 333 MHZ
16X8X16X4 AOPEN DVD+ -RW DL
4 x 74.0GB WD RAPTOR 10K SATA
BLACK KEYBOARD\MOUSE
BLACK ANTEC PERFORMANCE TOWER 500WT
Cart Weight:54.20 Total Number Of Items : 12 Total :1,906.75

I would go with 2003 SB server for your needs. It should come with Exchange 2003, though dont quote me on that, and it is meant for small offices.

The major difference between Small Busniess server and standard versions is license pricing. SB server licenses are usually half the price of a standard version and the CAL's are double the price of standard version CAL's.

Its designed for small companies with a few employees.

so if all user have xp pro do i have to buy cals for all 15 users 10 local and 5 remote users.

ok what is this
Microsoft Small Business Server OLP
and to make sure Im clear all user have to have cals for each device correct.there is no software to install on user machines just on the server correct. and what is the web editon.
also what if i just bought 2003 server and no cals then no one can connect to the server correct.

Web Edition is a lite vs of 2003. It cannot act as a domain controller, run SQL Server or Exchange. It's intent is to be a good cheap web server. IIS and ASP.NET are fully functional in it.

I assume OLP stands for Open License Program. Its another way of owning MS products. If you buy 5 or more MS products you can qualify for OL software. OL is nice because there is no activation but it can end up costing a bit more to be compliant.

On the other hand probably 90% of small businesses steal software.

ok there is no illegal software here nor will there be for that matter.But i understand what your saying i take care of about 40 dif small business and all most all had illegal software before me but not under my watch.this is my first account this big that is on a domain.I hope all goes well with the upgrade but most likely not.

ok how about the major dif in win 2000 server and server 2003 i know both have to use cals and that is fine it will be for device and not user better for my client.Just wondering the difference in the os.is one as good as the other will vista have a server edition would it better to get win 2000 server and cals now then upgrade to vista later.which os would be better for later upgrades down the road.this upgrade is because there server now is only win nt and they need 2000 or better thanks

I didn't mean to sound accusing. I've worked for a few small businesses in the past so I've seen what goes on. Its always nice when your managers yell at you when you say ahh but its illegal.

If you're going to manage it then go with 2003. It run much smoother and it has a lot of nice tools that 2000 is lacking. I work in a large datacenter and since we upgraded most of our Windows dev boxes to 2003 (about 500), we've had much better uptime and fewer OS related problems.

The Vista equivilant is coming but I would not wait for it. It will probably not be out for a year and current applications may have some compatibility issues with its first release.

If you get stuck with the upgrade let us know. I've done a lot of this stuff in the past and I know there are quite a few others here who are very helpful.

Ideally I would set up a network with two domain controllers, an exchange server, an internal file server, and an external web server in a DMZ. Some of these can be lopped together to save money. You could run the webserver on the exchange server and the file server on one of the DCs. With 2003 you do not want to run exchange on a DC. Its just bad practice and make for hour long reboots.

SBS kind of lops it all into one box which is good for a small business but it's resource intensive and non redundant. Its a trade off.

Last edited:
I do alot of Windows Server 2k3 stuff also (Enterprise Edition here :), needed the additional features of active directory and 64 bit w/ WinServ2k3R2.) At any rate if you have any questions the guys over at windowsitpro.com are usually lurking the forums and most have pocket editions of our favorite command line switches right on their desks, so they can help you pretty quickly.

DOnt bother with 2000 server, go straight to SBS 2003. In the end you will thank yourself for doing it. Do what was suggested get SBS 2003 server W/5 cals then get an additional 10 cals and you are covered. Whether to buy device or user cals is up to you. Ita annoying that they have the two honestly.

User cals would be a license for every person in your organization. Device cals would be for every computer that is logged into the server.

Device cal's are good when you have fewer comptuers than employees in time shifts when they may share a computer. That way only the computer they share needs the license and not each person.

In your situation I am guessing that every person has a computer so you can go either way.

Back