• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quick ram quesion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Roboto

Well, i've never been too on the ball with ram and ram speeds and ratios, so here goes.

I'm building a conroe rig, which has a fsb of 1066. The ram i'm getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065
runs at 800MHZ

is this going to bottlekneck my cpu because its slower that 1066mhz? If it isnt, what will the ratio be then?

sorry, but i'm trying to get a grasp on this before i build the new computer. Thanks.

it will run on a ratio but that is good ram, you can overclock it to 1066

yes, i know it ocs well, but do i actually need to oc it to not bottleknect it? For some reason, i don't think i do, but i'm not really sure why. Ram confuses me, as does the fsb of the chip. People are talking about pushing the fsb of the cpu to 500, when it comes at 1066. I'm missing something here lol.

Which Conroe are you getting?

Intel has a quad pumped system bus, so 1066 is actually 266 FSB. Since RAM DDR or DDR2 speed is double the memory frequency, DDR2-800 is 400X2=800. So, you can go up to a 400 FSB overclock using the 1:1 memory ratio and still be in spec for that RAM. That RAM you listed uses D9 IC chips which will O/C pretty good, like easily at least DDR2-900 (450 FSB). I would worry more about the motherboard holding you back.

Ritalin version: no, the RAM will not be a bottleneck.

ok thank you. So i take it that the conroe's have a locked multiplier? Because when I OC'ed my p4, i just adjusted the multiplier (i think, i did it like 2 years ago lol)

I think i'm getting the e6700

So in this case, it will come with a 10x multiplier
so 266 x10 = 2.66GHz

To keep 1:1 without ocing the ram, you said i can go up to 400fsb on the chip, so:
400 x 10 = 4GHz

ocing the ram, i'll be able to push the cpu to the following and keep 1:1:
450 x 10 = 4.5GHz

Just let me know if everything i said here is true. If it is, thanks alot, you've helped me alot :)

Yes, you have now grasped the concept. Except, you probably won't see 4 gig with air cooling. The "extreme" version of Conroe (X6800) will have unlocked multipliers (if you wanna pay that much).

yeah, I really want to try watercooling or phase change someday though, so i just want to keep those options open.

Thanks again :)

Back