• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston Memory Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DataCom

Registered
Hi,
I need some info about some Kingston DDR400 ram.
I purchased this ram and Kingston's site shows it is compatable with a P5P800S. my board is a P5P800 SE and wasn't listed. The ram is DDR400 dual channel and would like some advise on if it will work on my board. I also have a D805 that I want to OC to 3 something. Is this ram compatable? Is it good for what I want to do? Has anybody used it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl....ebay.com:80/160012132201_W0QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

Thanks,
DataCom

That is "value" RAM and is not that good for overclocking (DDR400 3-3-3). I would be surprised if it did not work in your computer though.
I am not up on 805 max overclocks but 2.66->3.0+ might be hard with RAM of this quality.

The good news is that you did not pay too much. That RAM is about $93 new.

Thanks,

Would this be a better option?
Geil model # GE1GB3200BDC
GeIL 5ns 32x8 & 64x8 Density DDR Chip.
6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB.
Optimized SPD for Dual Channel DDR motherboards.
Blue Aluminum Heat Spreader.
Lifetime Warranty .
CAS 2.5 8-4-4
2.55V-2.95V

DataCom

Better than the Kingston.
Things to look for when buying overclocking DDR RAM

1. low CAS (2 > 2.5 > 3)
2. high speed PC4000 >PC3200 > PC2700
3. allows you to change to higher voltages without voiding the warranty.
4. type of chips used (UCCC, TCCD, BH-4, etc.)
5. Manufacturers reputation for quality, warranty, etc.

I ended up getting DDR400 PC3200 Corsair Value Select 2x512 1gb CAS 2.5
but it doesn't have the heat spreaders. any place I can find those? Also what is the best thermal grease for the D805?

DataCom

You can get heat spreaders at CompUSA or any other puter store. Whether or not they are needed is another question.

AS5 is the best thermal compound in my opinion, for anything.

Thanks,
I was doing some research and Corsair is showing through tests including OCZ ram that heat spreaders are only giving a .02 percent increase in speed amounting to only a few mhz. so I guess it would only be critical for those who are after those few mhz for stability issues. Since I am only going to OC a D805 to 3.5ghz it shouldn't be an issue.

DataCom

Kingston HyperX Chips?

Does anyone know or is there a way to tell without removing the heat spreaders what chips Kingston is using in their HyperX RAMs from these photos?

They are rated 2-3-2-6 1T

Last edited:
The 805 goes up to 4ghz with any memory. The fsb is so low, so you might not be able to run high dividers, but you can still do at least 1:1 or low dividers. It's best to get good memory, but second would be what you can afford, since ddr is old stuff anyways.

With netburst, the timings don't really give as much improvement as higher speeds would. You can always pump the ram full of volts to get it running at higher than rated spd(s).

DataCom said:
Thanks,
I was doing some research and Corsair is showing through tests including OCZ ram that heat spreaders are only giving a .02 percent increase in speed amounting to only a few mhz. so I guess it would only be critical for those who are after those few mhz for stability issues. Since I am only going to OC a D805 to 3.5ghz it shouldn't be an issue.

DataCom

The other thing is that the factory spreaders are likely attached a lot better. The aftermarket ones that I've seen are only on with thermal tape which is iffy at best IMHO.

Will Eatforfood said:
The 805 goes up to 4ghz with any memory. The fsb is so low, so you might not be able to run high dividers, but you can still do at least 1:1 or low dividers. It's best to get good memory, but second would be what you can afford, since ddr is old stuff anyways.

With netburst, the timings don't really give as much improvement as higher speeds would. You can always pump the ram full of volts to get it running at higher than rated spd(s).

Yes, it is my understanding that the D805 is running at 133mhz FBS and I shouldn't need to increase the fsb much to get to 3.5GHZ or better. The dual channel DDR400 PC3200 Corsair Value Select 2x512 1gb CAS 2.5 should be more than enough to do this. I went DDR instead of DDR2 because I picked up a new Asus P5P800 SE for around $50.00. I don't plan on doing any major upgrades for awhile so this should work ok. I also have found the vdroop mod for the Asus p5wd2 may work on P5P800 SE since it has the same ADP3181 4 Phase 12V 28-Lead TSSOP PWM Voltage Regulator. I'll have to look at all the values of the p5wd2 mod before I could verify that it would work.
It should be an easy fix either way as I was an electronic technician for 20 years. This whole upgrade so far is low cost as it is still under $225.00

DataCom

Back