• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Recovery Console Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chixofnix

Hey all... I'm trying to salvage some documents from the directory c:/documents and settings/nick/desktop/ through the recovery console, booted from the installation cd. ('nick' is my profile name) I quickly ran into the wall of not being able to copy files within "documents and settings," not having access by default.

I know one way around this would be unlock the "set AllowAllPaths = TRUE" command, which would allow me to eliminate the access restrictions within the hdd, however the only way i've ever done this is through the registry... as described in this document: http://www.informationweek.com/LP/s...UNN2JVN?articleID=187000225&pgno=2&queryText=

Here my problem comes full circle. I wouldn't be in the recovery console in the first place if I could log into windows normally. So is there a way to edit the registry, so i can use the set command to copy the files, within the recovery console?

well it's mainly just a curiosity now... I ended up using another computer to give myself the permissions to access the folder, and now all the files are fine..

but really I'd like to know if there was some way, if you only had your windows CD and nothing else, to unlock those SET command parameters within the recovery console...

Back