• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AIM help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

autosmymotivgt5

Well, I'm having a few problems with my AIM software. AIM Triton, to be exact. The problem is, it simply won't open. The desktop icon doesn't work, nor does the source file. I have tried re-installing it twice, and both attempts proved unhelpfull. I have restarted my computer and tried again, and nothing seems to work. Sometimes when i try to open it, nothing happens, then 2 minutes later, a window pops up saying something is wrong with my aim software, and i can either reinstall it or trying restarting my computer. I'm beginning to think it may be a problem with aol on my computer though, because about 2 months ago, the same thing started happening with my aol explorer browser. If anyone knows anything about how to possibly fix this, your help would greatly be appreciated.

You could try downloading from a different source, but I doubt that's it. Try checking the settings on all your firewall/virus protection stuff. Make sure Triton is allowed to be run/ access the internet.

I had something happen like this the other day when AIM (5.9x though) decided it should no longer be the #1 IM program on my system, causing it to instantly shut off as soon as it opened. No idea if this will fix your issues as well, but some quick googling came up with similar symptoms. Either way it won't hurt anything to try it :

Copy this into an empty text file and rename the file whatever.reg . Save it and close. Run the file, and when it tells you whatever.reg is trying to add something to the registry OK it:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\America Online\AOL Instant Messenger (TM)\CurrentVersion\Misc]
"CheckAimAsDefault"=dword:00000000

If this doesn't work maybe try uninstalling triton and reinstall either the 5.9x or triton ad hack'd version: http://aftermath.dyndns.org:8888/~aimadhack/

Im still using aim 5.5.3595. I used trition and i didnt like it much. Unisntall and reinstall and use a program to get rid of all the registry crap then reinstall.

triton has given me nothing but problems. stick with classic aim

EDIT: oh yea, run it with ad aim hack. great util!

Oh how I hate Triton. All of my friends have switched over to it and they always complain and beg me to give them the old AIM back. I guess they dont know how to search google. :rolleyes:

I've been using Gaim for at least 2 years. Never had a significant problem with it. Direct connecting is a little bit funky, but not too bad. I HIGHLY reccommend it.

Have you ever been able to direct connect on Gaim with somebody on AIM? Everybody I know uses AIM 5.9+ (read: not Triton), and when I tried Gaim in the past I had no ability to direct connect which I consider a relatively important feature. Perhaps you are using Beta 2?

That's why I've been converting everyone to gaim. :) Direct connect, from what I remember, works between two gaim clients.

That middle_man app looks interest, however. Gaim has all the features of middle_man. Anyone have success stories with that?

Back