• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can'trun movies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burninate

Every time I download a movie or video using bit torrent and I try to run it using media player basic, I get an error that says "cannot render file." If I use Windows media player I get an error saying that windows media player can't play this type of file. This happens on every file I download, whether it be mp2, mp4, AVI, etc. I have the Klite mega pack installed with nearly every option checked. Is there something I'm missing? Or is it that the last 10 movie files I downloaded are just junk files? Any help would be appreciated.

Every time I download an OPEN SOURCE movie or video using bit torrent
Fixed.

Try running them with VLC so you can rule out a codec issue. Were the files .rar'd beforehand or did they come as .avi/ etc? If the former you might have some compression issues there. If VLC plays them but media player doesn't (you should really be using media player classic btw), you probably need to reinstall the k-lite pack.

E: You should probably edit your post *grumble warez grumble*

None of the files are compressed. I think it may just be bum files that I'm getting. I finally downloaded one last night that actually worked. Most of them are avi and mp4. I did try out the VLC viewer and I still get an error opening most of the shows I downloaded. I'll keep trying to download different versions until I find a video that actually works 8/

get gspot and check what codec(s) your avis use. Gspot displays with what codecs a videofile was encoded. Only works with avis tho.

There can be issues with Nero Digital Decoder and codecs sometimes. If you have it installed please remove it and then try it. Also sometimes a DVD player will conflict with some codecs also.

If the steps suggested by the above posters fail. You can narrow toubleshooting down. By checking if any of the apps I mentioned of similar or making replaying files buggy.

Thanks for the help guys. I will try downloading some of these codec packs and see if they help. I just had a bad crash, had to format and reinstall everything. But, all is well now.

Back