• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about windows CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ofp plater

Registered
hi. i have a HP with XP pro but they no longe give a copy of windows with new pc's, so would it be possible to buy the cd from windows instead of paying retail as i already own windows?

There should be a utility on the computer that allows you to make the XP disk. However I believe HP calls it a recovery disk. If not, just borrow or copy somebody's XP disk as long as it is the same version you have, Pro, Home, OEM...etc. The CD key you would have to enter during a re-install and then have to use for activation is a label that should be stuck to your computer somewhere.
My son's HP laptop has a utility under HP Utilities that burns the XP install disk to a blank CD.

Yep it's called HP Recovery you can start it up by pressing F10 at the POST screen you can also create CD's using the utility within Windows. My mate purchased a HP Pavilion 4 months ago INTEL P4, 1gb DDR2 RAM, 200 Seagate SATA HDD, (slow ***) DVD-RW drive and a crappy GeForce 6200 256mb PCI-E T-Cache card.

It has a 5GB partion on the drive set a side incase you want to a do a complete restore. I told him to buy a new motherboard and a new copy of Home Edition then it'll run better.

The board he has now is currently using Single Channel access to RAM I've told him to buy a Gigabyte SLi board which has better features. Then where going to pass all his hardware across and re-build it. To think he spent £700 on it and he's spending another £130 to do it up even more I could of built him a A64 x2 for the £700 which miles features & hardware. But I built a AMD 2000 XP system a few years back and all he did was complain he upgraded to that from a Compaq AMD 350mhz K-6 as well.

Back