• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Pro Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mobious

XP Pro, "Search" opens when I double-click (and the file/folder wont open)?!?!

I have no idea what I did, but for some reason whenever I go to double-click any of my folders in my documents "search" is the first thing to pop up (it doesn't open the folder, it just pauses and opens up the search thing), and if I right-click on any of the folders "search" is bolded and at the top. Can someone tell me how to make "open" my default comand, cuz to be honist having to right-click to open folders is not very amusing or fun. Thanks for your help.

-Mobious-

Last edited:
Check in the registry under the following key...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | Directory | shell

The (Default) String Name should have a Value data of none. To modify the value, right click (Default) and select Modify | In the Edit String dialog that opens, type none into the Value data field | You'll need to reboot after making the change.

Attachments

• Shell.JPG
    Shell.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 76
I edited the registry value (and restarted), everything is back to normal except for My Computer. Is there another value I need to change, or is it something more in-depth? Thanks for your help, by the way.

-Mobious-

I gave that a shot as well (twice, actually), and its still doing it (even the shortcuts I made to get around it still do it).

-Mobious-

Follow my instructions for modifying the Value data to none for the (Default) String name under these two additional registry keys...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | Drive | shell and...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | Folder | shell

Back