• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do any P965 boards support memory dividers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smilingcrow

Is it possible that the P965 chipset simply doesn’t allow the memory to run slower than the FSB? E.g. FSB = 400 RAM = 800. Or will a BIOS update allow this in the DS3 or other boards!

I ask because I’ve been disappointed to see that the Gigabyte DS3 doesn’t allow the RAM to run slower than the FSB; I have PC5300 and the extra expense of moving to PC6400 is more than the difference between a P965 and 975X board, so not appealing.

If this is the case, I shall just wait to see what the ATI & Nvidia chipsets support.

smilingcrow said:
Is it possible that the P965 chipset simply doesn’t allow the memory to run slower than the FSB? E.g. FSB = 400 RAM = 800. Or will a BIOS update allow this in the DS3 or other boards!

I ask because I’ve been disappointed to see that the Gigabyte DS3 doesn’t allow the RAM to run slower than the FSB; I have PC5300 and the extra expense of moving to PC6400 is more than the difference between a P965 and 975X board, so not appealing.

If this is the case, I shall just wait to see what the ATI & Nvidia chipsets support.
i dont get the problem here pc5300/pc5400 is ddr2-667. in order to get you ram to run at ddr2-400 would be to set the fsb to 200 mhz with a 1:1 ratio. pc6400 ram is dd2-800. Lower ram speed with a stock FSB of 1066 is not going to happen the best you can do is a 1:1 ratio which would be dd2-533.

sorry i would have said something but i didnt notice this thread.

You could attempt to OC your ram by loosening the latency timings and increasing voltage. DDR2 667 RAM on a Conroe system would run 1:1 at stock speed with a FSB of 333MHz. Any FSB above that is when you actually start OCing the ram.

Back