• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit AW9D Max

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
The Abit AW9D Max is due to be released around the end of August. It will support Core 2 Duo. There will be a Fata1ty version and a plain version too. The Max will be more geared for overclocking. I borrowed the pics and description from the Abit forum.

This is Abit's top of the line board featuring the Intel 975x and ICHR7 chipsets, ATI CrossFire support, silent OTES 2 cooling, OC Strips, uGuru clock, and AudioMax Technology featuring a separate riser card for the Realtek ALC882M HD codec. The memory slots will actually be colored coded black and white on the production series boards. Pricing will be around US $230.

aw9dmax2ez.jpg

abitawd9maxf1hi.jpg

OMG that's beautiful... :)

I assume you'll be grabbing one when they arrive and benchmark the crap out of it for us... :cool:

Do you have any idea the difference in the MAX and Fatality versions???

I'm hopeing they have some sort of active MOSFET cooling, so I don't have to rig anything up for my water cooling...

AW9D Fatal1ty

It does appear to have a couple little fans in the upper right corner, but not sure how it'll work.

* Support for Intel LGA775 processors (including Conroe);
* Chipset: i975X + ICH7R;
* Memory: dual-channel DDR II-533/667/800 (MAX 8 GB);
* RAID: 8 Serial ATA II channels (RAID 0,1, 0+1,5); 1 Parallel ATA;
* LAN: Two Gigabit LAN controllers;
* USB 2.0: 8 ports;
* Firewire: 2 ports;
* PCI x16 Express Graphics: 2 slots;
* PCI x1 Express: 2 slots;
* "regular" PCI: 1 slot;
* 8-channel integrated HD AudioMAX.

abitaw9dfatal1ty5dy.jpg

Those are some nice looking boards batboy... Which one are you considering? IF they preform anything like they look we have another contender for the high-end enthusiast Conroe MB.

god would someone shoot whoever creates the layout? and stop with the heatpipe stuff. great so if I upgrade to those boards, I need to remove the heatpipe again. They better fix the memory issues that most abit boards have now adays. 255 MAX FSB on my AW8D is ridiculous

I've been hoping to give the Max version a spin. My AW8 had some RAM compatibility issues, but they finally got that straightened out after several BIOS upgrades. Dicecca, you only could get 255 FSB with the AW8D? My AW8 could bench at 288 FSB. When I used 14X, I could go over 300 FSB. Yeah, Abit has been having trouble lately, but I'm hopeful with this new board.

yup only 255FSB. Tried everything the people over at Abit Forums told me to do with no avail. No working floppy at the moment, but the word at the forums is, I wouldn't do any better with the v11 Bios. Could hit 4.0GHZ with the the Asus board. But I can't stand the board, two quirky for my tastes.

@ dicecca
Have you used any other chips on your board ?
I ask as I've read lots of post's about the fsb issue, hell I've posted some myself.
No matter what I did I couldn't get over 251 fsb with my 640 so I was going to go with Asus for my next board, but I picked up a 920 the other day and with only a little bit of work I can bench any thing at 300fsb and post at 330, dont ask me why I just dont get it, couldnt post at 251 with one chip but I can at 330 with another...WTF....

And unless Im wrong a 2.8 that will post at 4.6, cooled only by an XP120 isnt to bad, right ?

Im sooo happy at what my new chip will do on this board Im now going to hold off on Core 2 Duo until I can get a AW9D Max

I all so cant get over my PSU holding up to it, But I still have the low temp issues

Attachments

• New 4.png
    New 4.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,944
I LIKE the fans that blow on the PWM heatsink there that the heatpipes from the north and southbrdige come into. My power stuff gets a little toasty (in the mid 70's...i am thinking of trying to find a small fan to put on that heatsink on my aw8d. Wonder what the pricing point will be for that bad boy.

Deanzo said:
@ dicecca
Have you used any other chips on your board ?
I ask as I've read lots of post's about the fsb issue, hell I've posted some myself.
No matter what I did I couldn't get over 251 fsb with my 640 so I was going to go with Asus for my next board, but I picked up a 920 the other day and with only a little bit of work I can bench any thing at 300fsb and post at 330, dont ask me why I just dont get it, couldnt post at 251 with one chip but I can at 330 with another...WTF....

And unless Im wrong a 2.8 that will post at 4.6, cooled only by an XP120 isnt to bad, right ?

Im sooo happy at what my new chip will do on this board Im now going to hold off on Core 2 Duo until I can get a AW9D Max

I all so cant get over my PSU holding up to it, But I still have the low temp issues
basically this board has major memory issues, some memory it loves, others it hates. I've on the v12 bios and have yet to realyl push the board. I'm at 3.6 which was not stable before so we'll see. I've also learned that it undervolts a ton. So I'll have to check that out as well.

EDIT 250 won't boot. Oh well. Hope its the memory, its on the list to be replaced anyway

Last edited:
Wing,

Just put a 120mm fan in your side panel and make sure you have a large enough rear exhaust fan to handle the pressure. If the 120 has enough push it should keep everything cooler. The ducted 120's in mine combine to flow 160 cfm.

Y'all have to stop tempting me like this... :drool:

I really need to take a wait and see stance...my current boards are good enough for now...

Did anyone else notice the "Nvidia dual graphics card" statement in the press release??? I wonder if this is a prelude to SLI for the 975 chipset, or just wishful thinking...

batboy said:
Looks like Abit is claiming the AW9D is officially released. I doubt you'll see any at the retailers for a couple of weeks though.

http://www2.abit.com.tw/page/en/mot...detail.php?pMODEL_NAME=AW9D-MAX&fMTYPE=LGA775

Press release: http://www.abit-usa.com/news/2006/20060816.php

My order is already in!

To misquote Mel Brooks, (History of the World, Part One) "It's nice to be the Mod!"

I should be getting one of the first to hit Fremont Ca.

I'll keep you all posted on how it works.

steve

Back