• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rename Original User Name

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flagship

Hey, I haven't been able to figure out how to rename the original name that is the name that appears here C:\Documents and Settings\NAME

If anyone could tell me how to change this name or direct me to another site that explains it that would be great. Thanks : )

You can't change the name of the %userprofile% folder, you can only change the name of the associated user account. You would have to create a new user account with the preferred name and copy the old one into it...

How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the destination profile, you must log into it once first to create the necessary file structure before you do the copy procedure.

If I create this other account will I be able to go directly into the account, without having to select user at the welcome page, like I do now.

And what do you mean by the necessary file structure.

Just create the new user account, then type control userpasswords2 in the Run box | On the "Users" tab, clear the "Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer" check box and then click OK | In the "Automatically Log On" dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you start your computer.

Back