• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best motherboard for e6600 + overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CraZy Muffin

can someone please suggest a good motherboard for overclocking with the E6600? i was looking at the P5W DH, but in a review i saw that the northbridge limits the overclocking potential a lot.

You could go with the P5B but I wouldn't recommend it. There are a few other boards out that can probably hit a little higher fsb but the P5W DH is definitely going to be the most stable board out right now. I don't think you would regret a P5W DH they are outstanding motherboards.

CraZy Muffin said:
can someone please suggest a good motherboard for overclocking with the E6600? i was looking at the P5W DH, but in a review i saw that the northbridge limits the overclocking potential a lot.

What are your expectations from a motherboard?

I own the P5W-DH and let me tell you that it is a superbly engineered board. The Digital Home features makes it worth every penny of the $250 I spent on it. I don't have a Conroe yet, so I can't really comment on the max FSB, but from what I have seen, 400 MHz is a reasonable expectation.

well i was just reading a review online which prompted me to post this question.... cant find the link anymore though.

they were reviewing the e6300 on a p5w HD and overclocking it. they were able to get up to something like 400+ FSB without touching the Vcore and only air cooling. the limitation was the northbridge because they maxed out the NB voltage.

ok found the review again,

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-e6300_8.html

The second problem we encountered during Core 2 Duo overclocking is very closely connected with the first one. Although the MCH voltage increase improves the mainboard overclocking potential, we still wish we could squeeze more out of it. On average, every 0.05V increase results into additional 7-8MHz. As a result, if you want to use up the entire clock generator potential that theoretically supports up to 500MHz FSB frequency, you should raise the voltage on the chipset North Bridge up to 1.85-1.9V. The maximum voltage setting allowed in the mainboard BIOS Setup is only 1.65V. This is the major limiting factor for successful Core 2 Duo overclocking.

if there are voltage mods for the NB that would be awesome, i would just have to add another waterblock in my watercooling loop.

I'm not sure about overclocking yet, but I know I like my P5B Deluxe a lot.
Very solid board. Rock stable and no memory related problems at all (E6600, 2GB Corsair XMS2-C5 DDR2-800).

Back