• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

a weired Internet issue under WXP, SP2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lex57ukr

Registered
Hello folks!

I was asked to resolve one odd issue with the Internet access problem. I am still looking for the solution and some help or ideas would be appreciated.

The symptoms:
there's no access to the Internet for all users registered in the system, unless they belong to administrators group.​

The issue:
all restricted users and programs that run with restrictions stopped having access to the Internet.
The system and connectivity:
Windows XP Pro. SP2 installed. The network connection is firewalled with the XP built-in firewall. The computer is connected to the Internet provider wirelessly through the router. There's a wired connection between the router and the computer. There are no other computers on the local network.
I think this could not happen just by itself. Everything used to work just fine several days ago. I've checked to make sure that this is not the firewall issue.

I'll try to ping the router under the restricted user today though. I've launched "gpedit.msc" to check if there were any changes done to the group policies configuration. Everything seems intact there. Please note that I access that computer remotely.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thank you.

life's good! The Internet issue was caused by the WebHancer. You can read a nice article about it at http://cexx.org/webhancer.htm.

The symptoms were really weired (that's what helped me to locate the true cause since that became clear that the system cannot possibly do any such thing). The pinging was going fine with one abnormality. Whenever the program tried to get information about its connection, a junk IP address was retrieved! (I was using my security tool for the examination and basically was running two cmd.exe executing similar commands under different restrictions level to compare the output). As soon as I saw that, I've downloaded and scanned the system with the "AD-Aware SE Personal".

The rest is clear...

Last edited:
snafumaster said:
A good place to start with most internet related problems, is a spyware scan.

You're right. I usually tune the security up that way so my computers have no issues of the sort. That wasn't my computer after all and I haven't dealt with any problem like that for a very good while. Anyway, I should have scanned the system in the first place...

Back