• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-965P-DS3 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vipasnipa

Hey folks. In the quest to plan my eventual Conroe system, I have fallen in love with the DS3, with its very reasonable price point ($150), very good overclocking ability (many users report 400+), and plenty of features. However, I hear that RAM support is not particuarly fantastic. I want to get DDR2 667 memory, as I intend to run the FSB at 333MHz. Is anyone framilar with a decent RAM that is compatiable with this board? As you can see, I don't intend to OC the RAM at all.

I have the board and am using Corsair XMS2 Twin2x2048-6400 DDR800 they are CAS 5 sticks but in the bios the board tries to set it to 3. I have to manually config the timings but still it shows Cas 3 in CPUZ. One issue with this board is if your memory can boot at 1.8v as that is the default voltage on this board. Some people run into problems with ram that needs a higher voltage. My memory usually needs 1.9v but was able to boot at 1.8v till I was able to change it.

SlackAdjuster

Vipasnipa said:
If I boot with a cheap stick of this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145528, which only requires 1.8V, change the vdimm to 2.0V, then swap in my high performance RAM, will it complain about incorrect cmos information and reset itself back to 1.8V? or will it stay at 2.0?

Or will it at least give me a chance to update the BIOS to something that defaults at 2.0v?

That should work, and is what most people have been doin when they're memory won't boot at stock. Give it a try.

ive got the ds4 , had a simalrprob but my ram posted it just would BSOD afew a few mins ie once thing got going but morethan long enoughto upthe vdimm.
one word of warning on the cl5 ram.... dont get it if u want to OC !
because theres some sort of error that makes the ramrun at cl3 is you run at !;! timing ,cpuz is correct when it says 3 and bios 5. if you let everything go auto it willgo to cl5 and cpuz will agree.its somesort of bug or setting that makes it go to cl3 at 1:!

Not true on the CPU-Z reading. Install the F4E BIOS and check CPU-Z again. The RAM is indeed running at the correct setting. CAS 5 RAM is fine, and is what I'm using now. 370x8 and climbing on my E6400.

EDIT: My comment applies to the DS3. I am not sure if this applies to the DS4, but try the latest beta BIOS for the DS4 to see if that clears up the CPU-Z reading problem.

Everything turned out fine. My G.SKILL RAM that is rated for 1.9-2.0v posted fine at 1.8v, and I increased the vdimm a bit. I updated to the F4 BIOS now.

a warning for all ds3 users.
ocz gold xtc and platinum xtc is not compatible with this board so far.
i tried both from ncix~ and it both dont work
mushkin works fine and corsair works fine

I have the G.skill 2x1gb HZ memory and it posted fine with the DS3, thats DDR2 800 though. I've heard most G.Skill memory with a 2.0v rating will post with it.

mtkya said:
a warning for all ds3 users.
ocz gold xtc and platinum xtc is not compatible with this board so far.
i tried both from ncix~ and it both dont work
mushkin works fine and corsair works fine
OCZ Gold XTC works if you boot up with some other DDR2 first and then up the VDIMM. I ran mine in my DS3 that way and it did 500 MHz with no problems. You would just have to keep a cheap 256MB PC3200 boot stick around in case you need to clear the BIOS. BTW, that was with the F4 BIOS.

Back