• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LG VX8100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tenchi86

Hey, I have an LG VX8100 phone and though I still have the data cable to connect it with my PC I have lost the CD. After hours of looking on the net I have found no drivers that actually work. If anyone happens to have the drivers for this phone can you please upload them so I can start to use my phone again for more then just calling people. Thanks

I don't remember needing the CD for mine?

It wouldn't do jack with BT, but the cable worked fine for everything else i needed.

Thanks. I downloaded the new Bitpim and that one you linked and all I was able to find was the .exe to install the program but no drivers. I checked the program folder but no luck, so am I missing something? I checked the LG site and when I look for drivers for any Phone it says No Data Found. I checked last night and managed to find drivers for the VX8000 but though didn't work. I have also been all over google and must have installed 10 different drivers. So far though non have actually worked. Thanks for any help, will be calling Verizon later today to see if they can say do anything but I am guessing they will just lead us to call LG.

Are you sure the drivers aren't included in the executable? Unzip the *.exe and see if the drivers are present.

http://www.cellphonemall.net/wireless/store/accessorydetail.asp?id=40769

I think I got my USB drivers from there. I have a VX9800, which is essentially the VX8100 with a qwerty keyboard. Reason I say I think is because I'm using bitpim 0.9.05 in Ubuntu Linux, and the drivers are already part of the system.

Lemme know how it goes. If it doesn't work, I'll head over to another computer where I think I have the drivers that I used for my VX9800 (under Windows XP). If I can't find that, I'll see if I can dig up the CD that came with the cable.

I am unable to extract that program, atleast not how I normally would. As for that driver JerMe linked I believe I tried that the first night with no luck. Anyway I called Verizon and got a new one for 12 bucks plus shipping so just went ahead and ordered that. Decently sad I must say being used to driver support like Nvidias then going to a company that said I have to pay 20 bucks to get one.

Hmm... well, here's what I just did. I booted into Windows, which doesn't have bitpim or the lg drivers yet. I downloaded the Prolific drivers from that link, and extracted the drivers to a folder on my destktop. I plugged in my cable, then connected my 9800 to the cable. Windows install hardware wizard came up, I pointed it to a WinXP folder that the prolific driver ZIP file had. I said yes to the hardware compatability warning. Windows popped up the hardware install wizard 3 times, then the driver install was finished.

Went to bitpim.org and downloaded bitpim 0.9.05-official, then installed the .exe. Ran bitpim, and it autodetected my VX9800 on com4. I was able to get phone data (messages, call history, ringtones, etc.)

Could you run through the steps that you used when you tried to install the drivers? I'd hate to have you pay for a 2nd cable if you can get the first one to work. My cable came from ebay. There's a sticker on it that says:

LG VX7000
KQ-U8A

Dunno if that's any help, but if we have the same cable, I'm 90% sure you can get it to work since our two phones are VERY similar.

More stuff:

the prolific driver zip file contains 4 folders, each corresponding to a different version of Windows. I didn't use the Setup.exe. I used the WinXP drivers.

I was doing what you said, but during the install it request MA8032U.sys. Which I am unable to find in any of the folders. Besides that though there are two other Hardware installs it trys to do which both fail.

Thanks man. The drivers you uploaded failed were also missing MA8032U.sys and your right I did try the other drivers. Though when I tried them I was doing the auto install and it kept freezing my pc, being as it was around 4am I was not thinking very clearly and just moved on. This time though I extracted the .exe and just manually tried to install it, and to my suprise it worked. Thanks again the help, saving money is always a good thing in my book.

Awesome. Now get crackin' on those mp3 ringtones. ;) Audacity is probably the easiest to use. You'll need to use the amplify filter as regular mp3s are a little low on volume as a ringtone. Have fun~

Will do, got tunebit and napster ready to go.

Any idea what I can so to fix this on Ubuntu:
alec@Tranquility:~$ bitpim
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/cx_Freeze-3.0.2/initscripts/ConsoleSetLibPath.py", line 30, in ?
File "src/bp.py", line 90, in ?
File "src/gui.py", line 30, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/__init__.py", line 42, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in ?
File "ExtensionLoader.py", line 12, in ?
ImportError: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
alec@Tranquility:~$ cd/usr.lib
bash: cd/usr.lib: No such file or directory
alec@Tranquility:~$ cd/usr/lib
bash: cd/usr/lib: No such file or directory
alec@Tranquility:~$ cd /usr/lib
alec@Tranquility:/usr/lib$ sudo ln -s lbtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3
alec@Tranquility:/usr/lib$ sudo ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3
ln: creating symbolic link `libtiff.so.3' to `libtiff.so.4': File exists
alec@Tranquility:/usr/lib$ bitpim
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/__init__.py", line 42, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 4, in ?
ImportError: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
alec@Tranquility:/usr/lib$ sudo ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3
ln: creating symbolic link `libtiff.so.3' to `libtiff.so.4': File exists
alec@Tranquility:/usr/lib$ bitpim

First day on Ubuntu (Or really any Linux for that matter)so try to dumb it down as much as you can.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you are in the installation, but it's good that you were reading the documentation on bitpim. So I'll start off here... just highlight the comands with your mouse, then middle-click into the terminal to paste the commands. You don't even need ctrl-c ;)

install libstdc++5:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libstdc++5

symlink:
Code:
cd /usr/lib
ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3

Then you need to make a bitpim group, and add yourself to the bitpim group.
(http://www.bitpim.org/help/howto-linuxusb.htm) Your_user_name is, well, your user name:
Code:
sudo groupadd bitpim
sudo usermod -G bitpim -a [I]your_user_name[/I]

Lastly, you need to make a USB rule to recognize your cellphone directly. Type:

Code:
lsusb

to list the USB devices connected to your computer. You should see your phone. Mine is listed as

Code:
Bus 002 Device 003: ID [color=red]1004:6000[/color] LG Electronics, Inc. VX4400/VX6000 Cellphone

Pay attention to the 1004:6000. The 1004 is the Vendor ID, and the 6000 is the Product ID. Write it down or keep it in mind. Your VID and PID should be the same as mine.

Next, make a "udev" rule to detect your phone. Create /etc/udev/rules.d/60-cell.rules using Nano:

Code:
sudo nano -w /etc/udev/rules.d/60-cell.rules

Then paste the following into the nano editor (highlight the text below, then middle click in terminal to paste):

Code:
SUBSYSTEM!="usb_device", ACTION!="add", GOTO="cell_rules_end"
# LG Phone
SYSFS{idVendor}=="[COLOR="Red"]1004[/COLOR]", SYSFS{idProduct}=="[COLOR="Red"]6000[/COLOR]", GROUP="bitpim", MODE="0660"
LABEL="cell_rules_end"

The red sections correspond to the VendorID and ProductID of your phone. Add it in accordingly.

Ctrl-X to to exit and save the file. Type y to save and hit enter to confirm the file name.

Reboot. (Alternatively, you can log off, log back in, open terminal, type sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart. At this point of your linux life, it's easier to just restart.)

When you're back into GNOME, hit Alt-F2 and type bitpim. You'll be greeted with the bitpim splash.

In bitpim, click Edit > Settings to open the bitpim settings window. In that window, choose your phone model from the dropdown menu. Also, the com port should be set on AUTO. Click OK to close the window.

Next, click Edit > Detect Phone. Your phone should be detected by bitpim.

Last edited:
Hey, I tried what you said and for some reason bitpim is not showing up in the list of know applications. Everything seemed to go alright except for two spots. First of when I did the cd /usr/lib
ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3 command It said Permission Denied. Then when I did the:
# LG Phone
SYSFS{idVendor}=="1004", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6000", GROUP="bitpim", MODE="0660"
LABEL="cell_rules_end"
and hit Alt+X all that happened was the options at the bottom went away, though I saw no saving or exiting. If it helps any the part I was to before was trying to luanch the program. It seemed to install fine after I changed it to .deb but when I tried to launch it from termninal I got that error.

tenchi86 said:
First of when I did the cd /usr/lib
ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3 command It said Permission Denied.

You'll need to use sudo. I think you might have taken that as 1 command, so:

Code:
cd /usr/lib
then
Code:
sudo ln -s libtiff.so.4 libtiff.so.3

but you did the symlinking step a few times already, so I think you're ok with that.

Then when I did the:
Code:
# LG Phone
SYSFS{idVendor}=="1004", SYSFS{idProduct}=="6000", GROUP="bitpim", MODE="0660"
LABEL="cell_rules_end"
and hit Alt+X all that happened was the options at the bottom went away, though I saw no saving or exiting. If it helps any the part I was to before was trying to luanch the program. It seemed to install fine after I changed it to .deb but when I tried to launch it from termninal I got that error.

Ctrl-X in nano to save, my bad. ;) Don't forget to reboot since you're adding that new udev rule.

Some applications will show up in the menu system when you install it, but Bitpim won't. You can either run it in the terminal by typing bitpim, or you can hit Alt-F2 to open the Run dialog where you type bitpim. You can make a shortcut to bitpim on your desktop or you can manually add an entry into the menu.

hey

does anyone know how to put ringer on a verzon xv8100 . i need the driver and what program to use.:santa2: :santa2:

Back