• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD on boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Treker

Old School Senior
I'm having a major problem recovering my old windows install.

here's the story.

my dual tualatin rig got flakey due to mobo problems, at the time It hought it was software related so I tried to do a hotfix via windows reinstall , everything went fine, then the computer rebooted and started installing drivers, BUT when prompted for information I was unable to input due to usb keyboard/mouse not functioning during install and my ps/2 slots had been fired.. so I figure I'd pull out the hd, put it in another computer and finish the install that way?!

wrong! - I am greated with bsod regarding chkdsk /f , it thinks my hd is faulty.. well about then my new hp zd8000 showed up so I put my hd on the back burner..

well 3 months later and I need the data badly for my business, so I buy a new hd, and get a usb shell to put the old hd in..

I had to repair the boot sector along the way, but if I piggy back the HD all of the data is there, and all of it is there when I use it in the usb shell.

I figure the hd is crap so I copy everything over to a nice big 250 gig hd.

Should be good to go right?

So I pop in the windows cd again and try todo a repair install to get all of my data back and same enviroment, ect as I had ( had loved )

well it will do the reinstall, but as soon as I reboot, the same thing hapens, BSOD , telling me to run chkdsk /f .. but its a brand new hd and there is nothing wrong with it..

At this point I can only figure that the problem is sotware related due to some of my old settings/drivers , ect.

whatever the problem is, my goal is to sucessfuly do a re-install/upgrade and reclaim my prior windows enviroment, nothing less of that would be acceptable, but I am out of ideas !

I've tried pretty much everything I can think of, but I've never never never ran into this problem before and I can't beat it alone !

I'm also wondering if it is possible todo some kind of file/settings transfer hack to pull the data from my new harddrive and incorporate everything onto my new laptop and existing system, that would be even better, or atleast something that would work.

Of course the problem as always is that I have a (usb) hardrive with a windows system that will not boot , so how can I manually ( or remotely ?) back up the files and settings to transfer to the laptop, and regain my windows enviroment?

This one's got me stumped!

Last edited:
In a nut shell..

I have an old hd from my old computer, the computer was starting to fail - I tried to do a reinstall, but I was unable to complete the due to failed ps2 ports and usb keyboard/mouse not working during install.

The only option I had was to pull out the hd and put it in a computer with working ps2 ports in order to complete the install - that is when the bsod started to show up.

Time passes.. about 3 months..

I put the old hd onto a new hd and 'installed' in a new computer.

I am still not able to boot windows and complete the install.

I tried to restart the re-install process with a fresh xp disk - I am able to start the process, but after the reboot to finish install , I am greated again by the bsod.

I included the total history in order to help diagnose , and avoid dead ends, or areas I already tired

I want to recover my old settings, mainly I want to complete the re-install which would return my OS to 'normal'

So in otherwords, Why am I getting this BSOD and how do I get around it ? - Remeber, there is nothing wrong with the hardrive

c627627 said:
Turns out all his "data" is safe, this is the old "can't boot into Windows" problem.

Then he says in the middle of trying to repair Windows, he pulls out his HD and tries to complete the Windows repair using a completely different computer system hooked up to his old Hard Drive so that he can then take the hard drive back to his old system.

After trying to use the same hard drive to install windows on completely different computer setups, he would like to get things back to the way they were because of Windows settings that he loved.

So after all of this, he problem is really one of just trying to get his specific Windows settings back, not any "data" loss as such.

Last edited:
He had a Stop error that happens when you try to start the Microsoft Windows XP-based backup computer after you move the system disk to a backup computer. This issue occurs when registry entries and the drivers for the mass storage controller are not installed in Windows XP.

Pretty late here so I will have to read a little more closly at what you said tomorrow. Though a quick idea, could you run something like say a Live CD and use a partition program like partition magic to give you say 70 gigs of free partition. Then install Windows on the new partition, then copy over all your files to it? Also from there run a tool like Western Digitals HDD checking program to mark any bad sectors and possibly even replace the old Windows Files with the ones on the new partition? You would lose basic Windows settings so if you really don't want to that then of course that won't work.

What files retain windows settings? I can set them aside, put in a new windows install and then merge old settings?

Hurm, Is there a way to manually do a file and settings transfer from recovery console?

Settings for every app you have? That would be a good number of registry entries, right?

It would be nice if Microsoft made things easy like that so we could use multiple machines with settings that we like.

If such a thing could be done, that would be the Holy Grail I personally started looking for ever since I heard of Windows.

But Microsoft gave us a registry jungle that makes it difficult to even figure out where one single program setting is stored :(

The closest I got is doing a drive image before things got messed up, which I could at least try to use as many times as I need wherever I need, without fear of irreversibly loosing anything.

I'm tempted to start working on a 'universal systems migration tool'

Basicaly you could boot this program from cd, it would scan your old windows install, and ask you what you wanted to migrate to your new windows install, it would save this data to any format that would hold it's volume, preferably something bootable, so you could then put this on the new computer, it would boot and start copying over your old data, a couple reboots later and your back where you left off, but on a new computer.

Would be very handy for fubar'ed windows installs like mine!

Use of the word 'data' is too broad though.

You can easily recover outlook email data, files, even certain Windows environment variables can be saved by right clicking on the desk top > Properties > Themes TAB > Save As

But every setting for every up is tricky because there are system specific registry values for specific applications installed.

I managed to use the same nForce2 motherboard chipset with the same Drive Image files to do what you're talking about and even then it took me two tries on one system.

yeah, easy if you can boot into windows :p

I am very discouraged, I managed to remove all of the old IDE drivers from my old windows registry and drive, and replaced them with the ide drivers from my new computer.. so it should have booted into it OK ??

Next guess is chipset drivers?

If you can boot into it settings/transfer wizard sounds like what you would want c627627.
Treker: Sorry to ask this but been out all day and brain is a bit slow, so can you tell me exactly what is going on? From what I gather you had an HDD that would BSOD on boot so you used a program to image that drive and copy it directly to a new drive? Though this drive is still BSODing giving a chkdsk error? So then you tried a repair install which also BSOD? Now what you want to do is not only recover your files but also recover the settings you had so things load exactly the same? The CHKDSK thing sounds like Windows may have found a problem and saved the file that says if there is a problem or not and was copied into the new HDD. Why a repair install failed I can't say, though is has happened to me once on a computer that was completly screwed from viruses. Copying files over would be easy with a new partition or second HDD, getting the settings though could be hard. You could copy the old registry over but that would contain so much crap that using it on your new PC would be a very bad idea. You could run some repair/fix tools on the dead Windows but probably would not help. Another thing that may be worth trying is loading the recovery consol and trying a few commands:
Fixboot - Writes a new partition boot sector onto the specified partition
Fixmbr - Repairs the master boot record of the specified disk
Listsvc - Lists the services and drivers available on the computer
Disable - Disables and unwanted services or drivers you find with above command
There is also one I cannot find or remember that replaces all Windows files, though that would delete your settings so wouldn't help much.
Also whats the code on the BSOD, that's probably the most important thing.

Back