• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 2000 Login window?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skeith

I have a question.

First a bit of background info;
Once upon a long time ago I changed my windows 98 login so that it had a user selection box. It was nothing special just a box with the user names in it where they could be highlighted instead of having to type the username. I have no memory on how I did this and there seems to be no referance to this on the internet or in my "mastering windows 98" book.

My question is;
Can this be done on windows 2000? I wish to know becuase my parents realy like the ability to select the user name by clicking like in windows XP but perfer windows 2000 as it runs faster on their older computer. I dont need it to be fancy just to have a highlightable user name or even the user name text box to have a drop down list containing all the user names. I would perfer the highlight option though. Has anyone else done this with win98 as I did, and do you know if it can be done in win2000?

Here is what the win98 family login i am refering to looked like
wrk0z51.gif

Last edited:
In Win98 it was done by right clicking the Network Neighborhood icon on the desktop --> Properties | 'Add' button --> "Microsoft Family Logon", and setting it as the default logon client. In W2K... I'm drawing a blank right now.

Skeith said:
can be done in win2000?
Of course it. I would not recomend it though; the modiication is quite complex and in the end would probably not be worth the trouble.

It is probably best to tell your parents to just type in the logins.

Last edited:
Well can you post a link to the procedure so I can look it over myself? Ill decide when I see the procedure if its worth my time or not.

Nice find Know Nuttin. Some much easier than what I had in mind.

I tested the Rohos Application and can confirm it to work on Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4 (tested the "rohos_ui.dll" GINA DLL).

Last edited:
Alright thanks much, Ill look into it later tonight, busy playing final fantasy right now lol. Im opting for the Gina modifications than the rohos welcome program cause im cheap and i dont want to pay money.:p

Back