• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista at Launch??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

So who will brave the monster that will be Windows Vista when it launches...whenever that will finally be?lol

Myself I figure I'll give it about a yr or so till all the guinie pigs who got it to start help MS work out all the bugs.lol

What version will you go with? From what I read a comparable version to XP Pro with be one of the 2 or 3 higher versions so I'm guessing those will run $250+ :(

While the XP Home equivolent will probably run $100-150 at start.

And I wonder if Vista will end up like Windows ME did?lol

I doubt it will go the way of ME. But thats because they've put more work into it than ME.

I will try it right away, if it is on my MSDNAA

I will try it right away. Student discounts rock! I just got three new XP Pro licences for $5.30 each. :D

I beta tested it from microsofts website, its horrible. Way too graphical and the user interface is verry different. Hardly an upgrade, its a completely different os. Very resource hungry, takes almost 5GB install space and barely runs on a 1Ghz machine with 512MB ram. I wont be making the switch.

z0n3 said:
I will try it right away. Student discounts rock! I just got three new XP Pro licences for $5.30 each. :D

OMG serious??? that's sweet. I know my friend that goes to Purdue got Office for like $5...i didn't know they did OS's too for those prices.

Skeith said:
I beta tested it from microsofts website, its horrible. Way too graphical and the user interface is verry different. Hardly an upgrade, its a completely different os. Very resource hungry, takes almost 5GB install space and barely runs on a 1Ghz machine with 512MB ram. I wont be making the switch.

If you crank the graphics RIGHt down it runs fairly nicely on a 1.5ghz machine.

windows me was the worst operating system microsoft ever produced and i don't think vista will be quite that bad.

not sure if i'm going to make the jump or not. i'm just not seeing a lot of advantages at the moment though maybe i will by the time it comes out.

there has been talk of it being delayed yet again, into the 2nd half of next year.

I didnt have an issue with graphics...but I gave up on the beta after not being able to get my sound card working. But while I was using it, it seemed decent. But not something that I'd pay $200-$300 for right now. Maybe someday when I upgrade and want DX10, I'll have to get it. For now, XP is just fine. I didn't find enough things with vista to make me want to switch that bad.

If Vista comes in a low cost and reasonably priced version then I will consider using that version for basic system builds. None of this >$100 or >$200 garbage Microsoft.

z0n3 said:

Damn...I was a student back in 2003 and got 2 XP Pro for $85 each how the hell did the prices drop so much in a couple of years like that for XP Pro?lol

Unless my College is a freaking scamer.lol

Hey hook me up with one for $5.30...LOL

jivetrky said:
OMG serious??? that's sweet. I know my friend that goes to Purdue got Office for like $5...i didn't know they did OS's too for those prices.

Damn office too...damn my college screwed me.lol I need a newer Office to I'm still using Office 2000 Pro.lol

Well i already get a good sized discount on Ultimate when it arrives and probably will get it for a very cheap price ill just pony up the money and grab it from the start. from what ive been hearing it should arrive around $350-$400

altho i doubt ill give up XP till after a few months into vista's release, it should still be good enough for me.

You're all getting it, and you know it! A year from now I think it will be interesting to see who's running it and looking back on these very posts. I mean, come on... who would not want some of these great new features!?!

;)

- Blackstar

Blackstar said:
You're all getting it, and you know it! A year from now I think it will be interesting to see who's running it and looking back on these very posts. I mean, come on... who would not want some of these great new features!?!

;)

- Blackstar

oh man that is classic...lol

tenchi86 said:
I won't switch right away, though in time I am sure I will.

I'm sure everyone will eventually b/c XP Pro & home will end up like 95 & 98 with nothing supported or working for it.lol

But I figure I won't try it till at least a yr after it launches....

Back