• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid question -> PWM??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wing

Hi

When my AW8D reports a temperature of the PWM, is that the northbridge? What exactly is the pwm...with my 950 OC'd to where it is now the cpu only gets to about 53 or so under load but the PWM gets to over 70 at times.

What temp should the "PWM" stay under?

PWM is plus width modulation. This is part of the power regulation put a fan over the power stuff and watch that temp drop like a rock.

yea use a fan and keep the temp below 70c if possible. they have a max temp of 85c.

The PWM temp sensor is in the area of the mosfets and power circuitry. You'll want better case ventilation if you are in the 70 degree range.

Last edited:
While I am sitting idle here at 4.53Ghz its at 49C when I was just benchmarking it was as high as 78C...thats probably bad :) Will it reset if it overheats?

wing said:
While I am sitting idle here at 4.53Ghz its at 49C when I was just benchmarking it was as high as 78C...thats probably bad :) Will it reset if it overheats?
it will be unstable and possibly freeze up or restart on you. if it reaches the bios's threshold for max cpu temp it will shutdown.

I cut a couple side cover 120mm blowholes, one brings fresh air into the vid card area and the other one blows air on the mosfets. These side LED fans are adjustable, so I can run them super quiet for everyday usage or crank 'em up for max overclocking. PWM temps went down a lot when I added the top fan.

batdesk.jpg

i got a nice 120mm fan blowing across them and they sit at 40 idle/ 50 load

also, its PULSE WIDTH MODULATION (im sure this is what u meant, just a typo ;)

this is where the voltage is actually "pulsed." it actually looks like a square wave graph. PWM in general really has a TON of uses... its actually used to generate DTMF sounds on phones. Also, its used in most rheobus and fan controllers to control the fan's rpm. But in this scenario, its used to regulate voltages of most of your system components.

I have 2 80mm fans on the side. The coolermaster side panel with window came with no holes, we do laser cutting at my work and I had them cut 2 80mm holes in the plexi...will have to see if ican be nice enough to the guy to enlarge them....

Back