• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking Dual Xeon 5100 System...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

liebkid

I am set on building a server with two Xeons (Woodcrest) 5160s CPUs (3.0GHz). As everyone knows, the core architecture of the Woodcrest and Conroe CoreDuo 2 Processors is the same. Overclocking the Conroes seems to be a breeze and there is plenty of room in them for it. My bet is that the same is true on the Woodcrests. The basic Woodcrest 3.0GHz will probably ramp up easily to 3.5GHz. The problem is of course, the motherboard as the selection is limited and their overcooking potentials (if at all) is usually close to none.

What are realistically my options out there as far as getting such a system up and running? It seems such a waste of lost power to have a dual 3.0GHz Woodcrest system when it can easily by pushed reliably way past that and have a really kick-a*** fast workstation!...

Thanks for everyone's input and advice in advance :)

Back