• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advise needed for selecting P5P800 SE AGP Video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DataCom

Registered
Hi,
I'm looking for a agp video card for my upgrade using an Asus P5P800 SE
I'm not a gamer so I don't need the greatest card, but I am a graphic designer so I do need a decent video card.

What should I stay away from and what would be a good card?
I have noticed that not all video cards with the same agp socket footprint have the same number of pads on the card.
Is this just a video card options issue or something else?

DataCom

good AGP card

I have a PNY 6800 GS with 256Mb of vid memory that was the fastest Nvidia AGP card available when I bought it. You can use Rivatuner to unlock for twelve to sixteen pixel pipelines. I've been happy with it for occasional gaming on an older computer. If you're looking for something cheaper or used (check out the buy and sell forum), the Nvidia 6600 and 5900 series are OK, but for intensive graphics (or dual monitors) you want 256 Mb of video memory, but most older cards are 128.

Handy website for comparing video cards

This website ranks Nvidia and ATI graphics processing units by performance.

http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/54675-graphics-card-ranking.html

At the retail level, there tends to be a correlation between price and performance. The X800XL is very similar in performance to the 6800GS and both can be found used on Ebay and other forums in the range of $100-$125. An ATI refurb probably comes with a warranty, and you can trust the seller. There are no Nvidia refurbs as Nvidia does not make the cards, only the gpu's.

DataCom said:
Hi,
I'm looking for a agp video card for my upgrade using an Asus P5P800 SE
I'm not a gamer so I don't need the greatest card, but I am a graphic designer so I do need a decent video card.

What should I stay away from and what would be a good card?
I have noticed that not all video cards with the same agp socket footprint have the same number of pads on the card.
Is this just a video card options issue or something else?

DataCom

If you want the absolute best get 7800GS

If you want highend X800XL

Lowend but still Very Very good 9800Pro with 512mb ram

I would recomend any card you buy to have 512mb ram if possibal

Maybe one of these... If you can find an x800xl with 512 that would probly be perfect for you.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

Back