• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W DH Overclocking Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

updawg

StarCraft II Fanatic
CPU: E6600
Cooling: Water
FSB: 400
Memory Voltage: 2.15
VMCH: 1.65
Vcore: 1.575
Ram Freq:800

Visulation: Disabled
Hyperpath3: Disabled
Speedstep: Disabled

Everyone post there settings for your board and any tips to get past fsb blocks.

Attachments

• score.JPG
    score.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 1,573
Last edited:
yes this is an e600 oem. Howerver I can get it to boot into windows easy but when i run orthos it stops like 20 seconds

updawg said:
What can I do to make it more stable?

Turn up the juice.

My 6600 above about 360 FSB or so seems to need alot of Vcore for marginal
FSB increases. If it won't prime, I'm not happy, so SPI doesn't cut it for me.

I haven't fed it more than 1.525V ATM (On H20, however, and temps are loading around 43c with that voltage). Lapping the chip I'm sure would shave off 7-8c (took 10c off my last 2 930s), but haven't decided on keeping it yet.

My board undervolts a bit, so setting 1.45V in Bios produces around 1.41V on average via Speedfan or other SW monitor, idle.

Keep us posted on what works for you.

Well my temps arn't my concern I can run the cpu stress test and it won't go over 40 C its just when I run the blend test it crashes. I've honestly gone up to 1.5825 and it still fails, would I be safe going higher? I mean my temps are fine even under load.

updawg said:
Well my temps arn't my concern I can run the cpu stress test and it won't go over 40 C its just when I run the blend test it crashes. I've honestly gone up to 1.5825 and it still fails, would I be safe going higher? I mean my temps are fine even under load.

Well, assuming you have ruled out the memory erroring out, and you know its the CPU, you may be at the end of the line using "reasonable" voltage.

I personally think that 1.5825V is pretty high if you use the PC a good bit, esp. if its 24/7. If only used a few hours a day, (and your temps are very good, I see) I don't think I'd worry too much about it, however, esp. if your board undervolts a little like mine does.

Like me, I think your CPU (and alot of other peoples' C2Ds) are doing well to a point, then the required voltage goes way up for modest FSB gains.

I only brought up lapping the chip because in my experience, it can improve OCs more than whatever temp drop you get out of it would indicate. My thought is that a really flat / good contact between chip and cooling surface prevents / reduces "hot spots" within the chip, not just the temp diode spot. So you may "only" get a 7c drop after lapping, but you may get better stability.

I've tested this be "simulating" lapping by putting a small AC unit on my radiator, chilling the water to achieve a 10c drop in load temps, then lapping the chip, removing the AC unit, and re-loading the chip, where the temp. is still +/- 1c from where it was, but after being lapped I can get away with a few more FSB for a given Vcore.

Last edited:
Thanks, that is a really good point about hotspots that hasn't crossed my mind. I probably will leave the vcore at 1.55 which intel rated to be safe voltage. The thing is my CPU only crashed under the blend test which is both CPU and RAM. When I run just the CPU stress under Orthos it runs perfectly fine.

1.55v is spec'd by intel ? I know the 9xx chips were supposedly tested some at that voltage according to Intel, but wasn't aware of any "official" max. voltage figures from them for C2Ds, other than the .8 -1 .3xx volt range usually stated.

Do you have a link maybe ?

So what kind of Orthos / P95 stable (at least a few hours) clocks are you getting when Vcore is set in BIOS to 1.55V ?

Thanks

Right now I'm doing 340x9 with the ram at 850, mems at 2.1 vcore 1.55 and vmhc at 1.65, about 1.55 being safe thats what a person on XS forums told me. Orthos is on about 2 hours right now still running.

Quote from XS: There was an Intel doc that set max at 1.55 Vcore, I'm keeping mine below this until more ppl have tested running for long time at higher Vcores.

I'll try and look it up.

I would bump your vdimm and/or loosen timings.

I am suprised you need so much vc for so little fsb..

I don't have a 6600 yet but my 6400 maxes its OC p95 stable at 1.4625 vc on air and 4 different mobos so far including yours. Max fsb on the dh for me was lower than the others but still no problem hitting 400 fsb. It superpied at 400 at 1.3 V but i never finnished testing it for stability at 400. I found a large wall on the mobo between 400-420 that took big vc bumps.

I am observing tho that the alandales like mine oc quite differently than the 6600's. I will just have to wait for one to arrive.

I am finding that 380 FSB on my 6600 takes 1.525V (in bios - 1.49 or so actual)

Temps are 43c loaded.

Bios 1101

That's not my max, I probably when its all said and done be able to get close to 400 but this is the first Orthos stable test. I can boot 400+ easy and run super pi and play games but it's not Orthos stable.

Oh and PS that 2.1 wasn't vcore I messed up that was mem voltage my vcore was 1.55.

I figured 2.1 was your vdimm ... have you tried it higher?

Most of my mem seems to work best at high v ... i maxed vdimm at 2.4 for my testing.

I tested with some crucial pc2-8000 and some ocz 6400 EB - both 2x512mb.

I haven't gone higher then 2.2, but I will try.. I'm using ocz pc 6400 platinum xtc

Okay I can't get 400FSB Orthos Dual Prime stable, but I can calculate 32m super pi @15m 3.266s and 1m @ 14.250s. I can also play games and haven't had and problems so should I not worry about it being "stable"?

Vcore: 1.55
Vmch: 1.55
FSB: 400
Ram: 800mhz
Mem Volt: 2.1

Everything else is bios default, and CPU Temp never goes over 39C.

What would you guys do? Back the fsb down or just leave it?

It depends what you do with the rig ... i use all of mine for folding, so i only care if it is folding stable.

If mine is folding stable, i don't really care if other test software can't run stable since it is not representative of my usage. I am not a gamer. But i use my sig rig for work ... but just trivial office/browser workloads.

So the only opinion i can offer is that i don't like the idea of running 1.55 vc long term, even well cooled.

Otherwize, if it is stable for the stuff you use it for, and you are comfortable with it the go for it :)

Back