• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does any one know the Max fsb on an AW8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
As the title says does any one here know what the Max fsb is on the AW8 / AW8 Max
I can post fine at 340 but not any higher
Or has anyone had there fsb higher than 340 on this board and if so what was it.

I do sooo like looking at this picture.
But more would all ways be better :clap:
And a 4.8 Suicide Screenshot on Air would be cool

Attachments

• 4747.8 for OC.PNG
    4747.8 for OC.PNG
    30 KB · Views: 160
Finally found my old O/C notes. Looks like 315 was about my highest stable FSB. I was able to boot at 320, but it sure wasn't stable at that speed. That was with my old 3.8 Prescott using the 14X multiplier, so it was probably getting close to the CPU's limit too.

I'm working on something over at the Abit forums, what ram did you use for it, and do you know what ICs they are?

Sorry for the late reply, I had to go out of town for work and Ive only just got back in the door...

Thanks for the input guys, now to answer some questions.
340 fsb isn't stable for any thing but at 330 or 4.6ghz I can bench 3Dmark01 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=9024782 but not 06 or PCmark04
At 300 I can bench any thing so far 100% stable

On the subject od Vcore
300 @ 1.375 100% stable
320 @ 1.4 stable so far (24/7 testing not done yet)
330 @ 1.45 only stable for super pi and 3Dmark01
340 @ 1.55 suicide screenshot only (didnt try any thing else to scared)

I cant tell you off hand what the IC's the ram is (as I dont know what that is to start with) but I can link you to the ram I have, if that helps http://www.dragonpc.co.nz/p.aspx?69096 4 of them in total
Let me know if you need any thing else.
I may all so ask over there to see if any one has had any luck over 340

A couple of other things I thought I'd say.

Im sure its the fsb holding me back as if I boot at 339 or any thing lower and then use uGuru to clock it up, as soon as i go over 340 it locks up and when I re-boot it wont do anything, wont even let me access the bios I have to reset the cmos first.

All testing is done using my XP120 to cool the chip with a 80cfm fan and AS5.
Kind of makes me think what this chip would do with better cooling and a higher fsb or multi

I have also got it to post at 339fsb with 1.45volts in the bios you can see in the picture below the drop

Attachments

• 4729 with 1.41volts.png
    4729 with 1.41volts.png
    47 KB · Views: 127
You are reaching the limit on the CPU, probably in addition to the FSB limit on the mobo. Temps must be smokin' hot on air during that suicide run.

Ive done a bit more reading and found this on the Abit website under the bios for the AW8D

BIOS: aw8d11.zip Bios Issue Date:2006/03/20
Mirror Site: ASIA Europe US
BIOS ID:1.1
1: Enhanced compatibility with certain HDDs.
2: Enhanced compatibility with certain storage cards.
3: Fixed the issue that the external clock cannot be set higher than 340MHz.
4: BIOS compiled date: 03/20/2006

Now as the AW8 is its little brother 340fsb could be all she's got :cry:

Now how am I going to hit 4.8 :confused:

3: Fixed the issue that the external clock cannot be set higher than 340MHz.

it may have but has't fixed the memory incompatibility. Be happy your board hits 300 and not 245 and no higher like mine

I know this is going to sound dumb as I sit here looking at all your white stars
But........
Im going to take it you bios will looks kind of like mine,
In the uGuru utility have you changed the N/B Strap CPU to PSB1066 so it dumbs your ram down to 533 and run it at 1:1 ?

dicecca112 said:
hahah, white stars mean nothing

Well maybe "modesty" :p

Ive posted over on the Abit Fourm as you may have seen but I dont think Im going to have much luck there so Ive filled in a questionaire sheet to Abit technical support on this issue and the low temp readings

Ive got this back, so now its just a wait and see

Thank you for e-mailing ABIT. This is an automatic reply to inform that your message has been well received.We will check and come back to you very soon

Deanzo said:
No but if you think it would help I'll give it a go later tonight when it gets cooler

It might help...I've seen even wierder things like putting the ram in the second slots instead of the first ones to get higher speed...:confused:

Back