• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium D 805 and P5P800-VM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NukeWinter

Hi,
I'm new to the forums here but have some experience with custom built systems and the like. I just finished a build and need help overclocking it.
Specs:
Pentium D 805 2.66GHz
ASUS P5P800-VM
Supertalent 1GB PC3200 RAM
ATI X1600PRO AGP8X
Creative SB Audigy

I'm currently running at 2.97GHz stable but am unable to go beyond that. If I try to go to 2.99-3.00GHz, Windows XP reports that critical system files are corrupt/missing and it refuses to boot. I am begining to think that XP is not recognizing my SATA hard drive properly at these speeds. Any higher than 3.2 and my BIOS crashes out and resets to defaults. My current BIOS is the latest version, 502. Does anyone have any ideas on how to break the 3GHz barrier? I can't find any settings for voltages or memory timings in the BIOS.

Last edited:
Hmmm.. No takers? [eyes shift]

Well, it seems like you have a decent OC right now.

But, It could be a varity of things.

#1 being the mobo. -limited settings available to you.
#2 Cooling - Air or water? Temps?
#3 Memory - any settings available to change?
#4 Power Supply

I noticed on my board (Asus P5WD2-P) the PS needs too be really good to hold the rails stable.

:attn:

My system actually crashed half way through my previous reply, so I lowered it back to 2.92GHz which is completely stable.
1. Yeah, I can't find any of the settings mentioned in other posts, like vCore or even memory timings.
2. Currently stock air cooled but hopefully going to upgrade to a ThermalTake fan of some sort, I do use Artic Silver. Temps are stable no matter how far I push it, around 40-45*C.
3. See #1
4. Forgot about this... 450Watt CoolerMaster.

I am assuming thats 40-45C idle?

With a Zalman 9500 or equiv you should be able to get up around the 3.9 range. Of course to do that you will likely need a beefier PSU. You want to look for one with a single 12v rail instead of 2 like most have which supplys a lot of power. OCZ Powerstream are good ones.

Ok, when I get some more cash I'll upgrade the cooling and power supply. And yes, that is about 40 idle and 45-47 loaded. Thanks again.

NukeWinter said:
I'm currently running at 2.97GHz stable but am unable to go beyond that. If I try to go to 2.99-3.00GHz, Windows XP reports that critical system files are corrupt/missing and it refuses to boot. I am begining to think that XP is not recognizing my SATA hard drive properly at these speeds.
Just another idea- have you locked the PCI/AGP lock to 33/66MHz?

It can cause defective HDD writings/readings and such. :)

MadHyeNa said:
Just another idea- have you locked the PCI/AGP lock to 33/66MHz?

It can cause defective HDD writings/readings and such. :)
I have no idea, I have never seen an option like that in the BIOS, is it a jumper on the board itself or am I looking in the wrong place?

Oh, and I just found my RAM config. settings. Any recommendations on changes, currently at
Freq. 183MHz
FSB:DRAM is 4:5
CAS: 2.5
RAS to CAS: 3
RAS: 3
tRAS: 7

Last edited:
Not to bump an old thread, but I just installed a Zalman 9500, dropped temps about 10*C. Now when I go past 3.0GHz, I still get either an inability to load windows (continually restarts) or my bios just resets itself. :mad: Any more ideas besides buying a new powersupply?

i have the same motherboard as well as processer and i just got mine up to 3400 mhz with stock fan and heatsink booted fine got to windows and loaded ot to 100% for 3 min all was fine exept the pendium 805 was VERY hot.... so it might be the psu but my psu is 400 watt and 20a on the +12v so might what to consider getting a new psu.. just my 2 cents

P.s. the onbard sound has been known not to work pass a 10% overclock mabye other devices dont work too but this is just a asumpsion

Install speed fan (freeware) and use it to check your Vcore voltages while running.

I found that with my 805 I had a really big vdroop. (cpu voltage drop)

There should be a mod around here somewhere to fix it up.
(pencil trick or something)

Back