• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No to the DS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
I think I can now speak with some authority on this issue.

I speculated on the DS3 being a "budget" conroe board when the Asrock appeared to be of Superior quality. Now I can see to what extent I was right.

1. DS3 bios unmoveable.

Even the Asrock, and my old Socket A board had a removable bios that would have gotten me out of my current mess

2. "Dual-Bios" doesn't do anything.
Maybe it would have before I reset CMOS, but once you have a bad bios it's impossible to access dual bios to recover the backup.

3. One IDE can't work with 1 HD and 1 CD-Rom.

Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't get this to work for the LIFE of me. I tried slave mode. Tried cable select. NOTHING. Had to get an adapter.

4. Bad CPU placement
Right next to chasis fan. Good luck to water coolers who have a reservoir there.

I'm familiar with all the boards high points but there is NOTHING that makes it worth 150 bucks. It doesn't even come with any SATA power adapters. I can't see where the money is going.

All that and I really think there should be a 100 Dollar Conroe board

Well, in the DS3's defence, there are no conroe mobos that are worth their price, and most still have one problem or another.

mkorpal said:
Well, in the DS3's defence, there are no conroe mobos that are worth their price, and most still have one problem or another.

One problem would be acceptable. The DS3 has four :)

I think it's a decent board, But when a $50 board ïs better constructed and has more features (and better onboard sound!) Somethings wrong.

from what ive been reading you can overclock the **** out of your conroe with it, i just ordered one yesturday and a E6600 so ill tell you if i have the same issues as you whenever it comes in.

You can connect like 4-6 SATA's to this board blink922 thats not an issue.

I don't know what bio's you were trying to fool with the but the F4c's fixed most of the IDE issues. this chipset is brand spanking new.. your comparing features and bio's that work well with a board running a OLD chipset. Of couse they know how to code bio's for that chipset.

2. "Dual-Bios" doesn't do anything.
Did you read the manual??

and this one
"4. Bad CPU placement
Right next to chasis fan. Good luck to water coolers who have a reservoir there."
WTH is that?? the cpu is placed in front of the chasis fan to get the CPU heat out of your CASE!!! WTH would you want to put a res there????

Back