• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IDE drives, CDR, DVD, new MB, How?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dgk

New MB (MSI K7T266 Pro2). Has two IDE connectors capable of 33/66/100 ATA, and two IDE connectors meant for Raid. I have no intention of using Raid. The manual says that the Raid pair are for hard drives only, apparently not for other things like DVD or CD. But I guess that I can use them for a regular (IBM 60gig) drive.

The DVD and CDR can't be on the same IDE port since copying directly from the DVD to the CDR is problematic in that case, so they need to be on different ports.

Here are the questions. Can I mix a CDR or DVD with an ATA100 drive and not hurt the drive's performance? I have heard it both ways.

Can I use the two Raid ports for regular IDE drives?

TIA

Yes, you can do it that way.

Putting the CDROM on the same cable as the hard drive won't impact the drive any UNLESS you are copying from that CDROM to the same hard drive or if both drives are in use, occupying the same cable, at the same time.

Why not just put the hard drives on the RAID controllers and the CDROMS on the main controllers? It will work all the same and each drive will have its own controller.

Jon said:
Yes, you can do it that way.

Why not just put the hard drives on the RAID controllers and the CDROMS on the main controllers? It will work all the same and each drive will have its own controller.

I guess I will. I was sort of concerned that putting one device on each controller would waste IRQs. But since I have no plans to have serial or parallel devices (and have already turned them off in the bios) I should have lots of IRQs available.

dgk said:

The DVD and CDR can't be on the same IDE port since copying directly from the DVD to the CDR is problematic in that case, so they need to be on different ports.
Really?! I have 2 computers that have DVDROM drives and CDRW drives on the same ribbons. And ive been burning happily when copying from the dvds to the burers. :eh?:

Maybe because they are DVDs instead of just CD? I haven't really tried it but Nero complains that you shouldn't do direct burns if they are on the same ide port. Maybe it would work just fine if I ignored the warning.

DVD and CDR on same cable

I run mine off the same cable and use nero and I haven't gotten that message though its possible I disabled it the first time I saw it and don't remember. I burn a lot of discs in lots of formats and really don't have a lot of problems.

I also run a DVD-rom and a CD-RW on the same IDE port. I have never had a problem in burning, CD copying, or performance in doing this. However when I slaved my zip drive to my hard drive, my hard drives performance dropped from 20100 (Sandra score) to 15000 (Sandra score), which is a significant drop.
Abb

Back