• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jumping to Conroe, how does this setup look?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabbiani

So I have been reading a ton on the new intels and I want one.

Newegg has
Gig DS3 + E6400 for $385 after a $25 instant rebate
And some OCZ Plat DDR2 800 for really cheap ($169 open box)

Only problems I have read are people not getting the ram to boot at 1.8V, but I could steal some of the ddr667 at work for a day to get it to boot if need be.

Posts I have read say 430ish FSB will be the limit on this board, but even 400 would get me to 3.2GHZ, so I figure I will be happy there.

Here are some questions
1- Power, I have seen a few threads saying get the $150 mega ultra chicken power supply, but I see no requirements listed on the newegg specs. Will my Forton get me anywhere? (24 pin, but dual 12V rail :(

2- Will this setup get me past 3Ghz, quicker than 20sec 1Mpi, or at least be a hell of a lot faster than I am running now?

3- Seem like a good deal?

Everything else would be reused from my sig.

Last edited:
Looking at recent development, have you consider Asus ? Either P5W DH or P5B Deluxe ?

I have seen that they perform better, but those are $250 boards yes?

Yep, but if you're tight on funding, strict diet for few days will solve that problem right ? LOL .... j/k :D

Lol. I can afford it, I just don't know if I can justify it. (Especially to the wife)

My goals are modest at best. I have debated just adding an x2 to my current setup. But my cheap ram holds me back so bad I hate to do anything else with it.

The DS3 still makes for a modest overclocker yes? At least better than some of the budget boards?

Piece of cake, waived both my previous crappy 945 yellow yucky board and p5b deluxe nice looking and handsome black mobo in front of her nose while pointing that copper like heatsinks at the p5b NB and the heatpipes will make much lesser noise, and since she hates fan noise, then suddenly with a little nod it was justified ! LOL .....j/k..again :D

But seriously, was watching XS recently and lots of complains & shouting at DS3.

^^^ I have 4 deltas in my system. What is this fan noise you speak of?

Ill check out XS in the morning and make up my mind. Any other comments are appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about the cost of a mobo...just look at my sig for the damage a new conroe can do. :D but i wont have to upgrade for a LONG!!!! time...lol

An Asus P5W DH with an E6400 will be faster (AT THE SAME SPEED) than a DS3 and E6400. Something about the chipset having tighter timings on the P5W DH (thats why the D3 clocks higher FSBs). For example I saw a guy with a DS3 with an E6300 at 3.0 and very similar memory doin a slower superPI time than my E6300 at 2.8.

Which model Fortron? For a modest O/C with minimal fans and drives, your current PSU will probably be ok. But, even the AX500-A is only rated at 15 amps on both +12v rails. That's not much for a dual core and 4 Delta fans once you start cranking up 400 FSB. The OCZ Powerstream 520W is great, but if you are looking for a more reasonable priced PSU, check out the Enermax Whisper II EG465P-VE 480W which is rated 33 amps on a single +12v rail.

The E6300/DS3 combo is a pretty good deal and it should get you to 400 FSB. Although an E6300 and Asus P5B (non-deluxe) is about the same price. There is a couple threads floating around that compare the P5B to DS3.

Asus P5B Deluxe will clock as high as the Gigabyte DS3, have downward dividers so you don't need blistering fast ram to run 1:1 with high overclocks, and there is a high probiblity that the same clocks will be better performing then the DS3's clocks..

there is a slight chance the regular vanilla Asus P5B will clock as fast as the DS3 and the Asus P5B Deluxe once they update the bios, but I havn't seen results yet. Its a $160 mobo.

My Forton is an AX500-A, but my fans, pump, drives etc are almost all run from a seperate power supply. The Forton is only running my board/chip

Gabbiani said:
My Forton is an AX500-A, but my fans, pump, drives etc are almost all run from a seperate power supply. The Forton is only running my board/chip

15A 12V is low for ATI GFX's. And to be honest.. heavy overclocking on even what you had in your rig was probibly a strain :(

Man, enough with the freaking DS3 bashing yall. For every complaint I see about the DS3 I see one about a P5W DH. Why? Because they are the most popular boards.

Those that keep saying the Asus boards are faster at the same speeds as the DS3. Check here:

P5WDH vs DS3

In most games and bench's the DS3 beat the P5W. Is this 100% conclusive? Hardly, but neither is one person's results folding or using one other app. Why? Because not all DS3's perform the same. Not all C2D's perform the same. Not all ram performs the same. And not every uses the exact same settings because of differences in cooling, OS install, etc.

Looking at these results, people really say you can see the P5B Deluxe or
P5W DH are noticably better than almost any other 965/975 board?

MB Shootout

As for the OP - I think I get an 18sec 1meg SuperPI at 3.2. I know I can tighten my timings more and probably get that down to close to 16 sec. But I haven't had much time and still waiting on more cooling to come in this week before I go nuts and try and get a stable 3.6.

Based on what you have now your 1meg should be somewhere around 33-35 seconds.

Bingo, low 35sec times now.

Everything I have read at XS is good on the DS3. It is missing an ide channel, and sometimes memory is a pain to boot. But hell I am coming from an UltraD where everything has to be perfect.

I think I am going to do the DS3 6400 combo, and maybe a new powersuplly. I have a 400 antec at home that is @ 26A on the 12V.... but that wouldn't be any better.

Say want you want.. but the DS3 has no downward dividers.. try hitting 530FSB 1:1 with that mess/cas3 ROFLMAO.

But, if your not plaining on kicking it into high gear.. I guess it doesn't matter.
And the 6400 should help with not needing extreamly high FSB.

And didn't I say the regular P5B (btw.. the DH's fsb wall is to low for Allendales it should be taken out of the running all together) is only $160 and its an ASUS (best Intel brand board in the past), and SHOULD hit high FSB's with further bio's revisions.

but do you really neeeed tight timings??

with the e6400 even 450fsb is 3.6ghz.........is there even much point buying super expensive ram that can do 1100mhz??

hUMANbEATbOX said:
but do you really neeeed tight timings??

with the e6400 even 450fsb is 3.6ghz.........is there even much point buying super expensive ram that can do 1100mhz??

No you dont really need tight timimings.. it is low performance loss.

if you crank the Vcore up on these things they respond very well to voltage.. 4Ghz has been done on air with a E6400, likely stable around 3.7Ghz.. thats closer to 463FSB thus DDR2 925 1:1.. still plenty fast ram needed for that clock.

greenmaji said:
No you dont really need tight timimings.. it is low performance loss.

if you crank the Vcore up on these things they respond very well to voltage.. 4Ghz has been done on air with a E6400, likely stable around 3.7Ghz.. thats closer to 463FSB thus DDR2 925 1:1.. still plenty fast ram needed for that clock.

4ghz was done only 1m stable *edit* now that i think about it, i think Andre did 16m too. :O

don't get me wrong, when winter comes, i will be putting my e6400 in my open window, hope for 4ghz++ :D :D

but for practical uses, a c2d at 3.6ghz is plenty fast, so getting cheap ddr2800 that can oc a bit is a perfectly viable option.

that won't be the route i take tho ;)

Back