• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard temps....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I see your using the Asus P5W DH, the temperature on this board reads high no matter what, people replace the tim and add fans with only a 1-2 C improvement, as long as the board isn't over 50C your fine.

This is an Intel based board, and uses the same sensors as the Intel Brand board does. According to Intel and Asus, you should not worry about any temps until they reach near 60c, which I do not think you will ever see.

I'm having a similar problem. My CPU (E6600) is currently running at 25c and the mobo is sitting at 53c (P5W DH Deluxe). Bios revision is 0801. :mad:

a 53C reading on the MB is a sign of a faulty sensor, a very poorly seated NB. or just not enuf airflow. I would pull the NB/heatpipe off as well as the SB, replace the tim to be sure. ... here is a nice little pictorial guide http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106563

Even if you don't rplace the TIM, pull (carefully!) off those pretty (stupid) metal covers that go over the fins on the NB and SB ... they restrict the air flow to cool them ... what a stupid idea by asus marketing to cover up heatsinks :bang head: They are just held on by adhesive ... you can 'peel' them off carefully.
I was careful pulling mine off so i can put em back on if i need to rma the mobo.

If the temps are real, i would expect instability and errors ... on all my folding rigs, including this mobo, I have to keeps MB temps below 40C or errors will result.

In addition, you can mount a small fan to the top of them with a few screws.

pscout said:
a 53C reading on the MB is a sign of a faulty sensor, a very poorly seated NB. or just not enuf airflow. I would pull the NB/heatpipe off as well as the SB, replace the tim to be sure. ... here is a nice little pictorial guide http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106563

Even if you don't rplace the TIM, pull (carefully!) off those pretty (stupid) metal covers that go over the fins on the NB and SB ... they restrict the air flow to cool them ... what a stupid idea by asus marketing to cover up heatsinks :bang head: They are just held on by adhesive ... you can 'peel' them off carefully.
I was careful pulling mine off so i can put em back on if i need to rma the mobo.

If the temps are real, i would expect instability and errors ... on all my folding rigs, including this mobo, I have to keeps MB temps below 40C or errors will result.

Well, I'm not having any stability issues. Does this mean it might be missreading the temps? Thanks for the help!

pscout said:

Not likely to get much instability unless you cross the 60c border. Asus has confirmed this, however you are getting mighty close...more air flow!!!

Instability is in the eye of the beholder ... errors in folding for me are instability. Windows never crashes unless cpu temps get too high. Some other data sensitive apps could also be 'unstable' but if you don't run such apps, then you will never experience that type of instability.

pscout said:
Instability is in the eye of the beholder ... errors in folding for me are instability. Windows never crashes unless cpu temps get too high. Some other data sensitive apps could also be 'unstable' but if you don't run such apps, then you will never experience that type of instability.

Oh i agree, I am just stating there are many reasons that could coincide with higher MB temps and instability as well...sometimes more voltage than neccessary could raise temps and cause instability...more from the voltage than temps. Anyways, the temp of 50 something celsius falls under the maximum rated temps for the board. My temps have often wandered pretty high, and haven't noticed any errors in Prime95 or folding as of yet...

I put a fan on the southbridge and the MB temps dropped from 42c to 32c (as reported by others as well), room = 25c. So either the southbridge is the source of the MB temps or some point very close by. It certainly isn't the northbridge because no cooling there changed the MB temps.

orion456 said:
So where are you storing those sticky critters?

I just put em in a little ziplock and put em back in the mobo box.

And yes, you are right about the mb sensor being at the SB ... i noticed the same thing on mine.

ToMo said:
I'm having a similar problem. My CPU (E6600) is currently running at 25c and the mobo is sitting at 53c (P5W DH Deluxe). Bios revision is 0801. :mad:

:welcome: to OCF ToMo :) ... we are kinda slow on remembering our manners sometimes :eek:

Because the m.board was idling at 49C. Had it swapped out and now idling at 42C. Even though lots of people complain about 48+C temps, it seemed not everyone had this problem. So I RMA's and took a chance.

Last edited:
Back