• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the most stupid thing you've ever done to your computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shell

Post the worst thing you've ever done to a computer of yours involving modding and overclocking. Ex: "I did not leak-test my loop and water went everywhere but somehow my hardware wasn't damaged"(now that's pushing it)

Once... I was volt-modding my 5700Ultra(PCIe) while my computer was still on, sparks flew, my computer crashed and restarted... everything worked fine! I had all of my fans turned off on my computer (when I underclock I can switch to passive with my gallium loop installed) so I forgot that it was on... and my screensaver is set to blank.

Another time... the heatsink fell off of my NB (the clip snapped:eek:) My computer horridly crashed... a little smoke was given... I stuck it back on with a steel clamp, applied some AS5... and it worked! :D NF4-U FTW
It was a bad idea to use tape to hold that clip together...

nerdlogic said:
Let my sister use it.

Last time I let my mom use my computer... she was downloading something slowly and got very bored, so she was alt-tabbing through all my windows out of boredom and the voltage controller in my background somehow it gave a "low voltage" warning... she set my CPU to 1.9volts :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: My computer overheated to 80 degrees and it cut-off... and when i tried to turn my computer on... it was still at 1.9 volts(I was using my modded stock HS at the time and the voltage controller was software based so i assumed she didn't alter the BIOS) and my computer turned it'self off again, I crapped myself... and yelled at her over the sound of my computer LOUDLY WHIRRING A LOUD BEEP DUE TO IT OVERHATING.
I'm expecting my 4400 to die much sooner now. :(

Last edited:
Well...

Back when I had a SlotA 900 T-Bird. I was going to clean it out. By the time I got done it was not working.

The dang clip on the top side would not release. It never gave issues before. I tugged and fiddled for a half hour. Finally I gave one good yank. It did come out and never worked again. The board was toast and the CPU did not work also.

The clips were still on the CPU housing too. I actually pulled everything off the board. Gave one chuckle and, that was the end of that. I sent the 900 to a buddy and he could not get the CPU to work either.

Pretty dumb, and it overclocked good too before I did my pull the cartridge off thing.

I bought an Aspire 500 watt powersupply. One day I turned my pc on and flames shot out of my powersupply. That was the end of my cpu, motherboard and video card. Now I own a Forton 700watt.

using a Ultra X-Connect psu to power my fans.....smoke and the fans never worked again!

well, i didnt do it, but my uncle had that happen to him, i warned him about those psu's

splicing wires to my fans while the machine was running and loosing a wire that made contact with the case and SNAP machine shut off lmao was on my old socket A barton rig

I pooped myself i think but it started right up

probably a week ago. I'm running caseless, it happened twice...

first, i was plugging the IR cable into my tv tuner (which btw doesn't work at all... the remote just refuses to work, otherwise it's just fine). Pressed it in too hard and the card came out of the PCI slot. Just got a BSOD. Re-seated the card and shorted the restart pins.

Day later, I moved the sound card by accident and it came out of the slot, and the computer died down. Fired right back up

Just now letting my finger get caught in a full speed 92mm Delta Triblade running without box casing in a Zalman 7000CU... Lot more blood than the usual fan mishap... probably ****ed up the mount too...

one time I got mad playing and game and just hit the off switch, well it wouldnt boot back up... I thought i messed something up bad.... as she woudlnt bootback up at all.... she just beemed and I didnt know what she was saying to me, after taking everything out and putting her back together she booted right up... still dont know whay she wouldnt boot after that but I disconected my restset switch so I cant get mad and do that agian.

Was fiddling in the BIOS with my old XP 2000 rig, didn't know what the heck I was doing. I changed something that had to do to the video card and it turned off and wouldn't boot up.

Then I found out about CMOS resetting. ;)

Femto said:
Was fiddling in the BIOS with my old XP 2000 rig, didn't know what the heck I was doing. I changed something that had to do to the video card and it turned off and wouldn't boot up.

Then I found out about CMOS resetting. ;)
Dual booting and using a duplicate file finder to delete the duplicates. Not expensive, just stupid.

The stupidest thing I ever did was trust an Aerocool fan. I cut out the rear of my old case (aerocool turbine jr. thingy) for a 120mm fan (cause an 80mm just wasn't enough :rolleyes: ), and the 120mm aerocool fan I installed promptly burst into flames when I turned on the system, killing everything except for the ram, hdd, and video card. I lost a Barton 2500+, a DFI NFII Ultra Infinity (if the fire didn't kill it, it would have died sooon anyway. I had like 3 of them die on me for no good reason), an original Ultra (the almost good ones), and a Linksys network card. I was planning on upgrading anyway, so it just pushed it up sooner then expected.

Well, in my case I didn't have a leak on my water cooling system, I simply forgot to connect the tubing coming from the pump to the cpu so it didn't leak everywhere I pumped water all over the place, and that was even before I had ever used the pc since I had just put it all together. All was fine after a couple of cans of air and a couple of hours of a hair drier blowing on the components.

Vaio said:
The stupidest thing I ever did was trust an Aerocool fan. I cut out the rear of my old case (aerocool turbine jr. thingy) for a 120mm fan (cause an 80mm just wasn't enough :rolleyes: ), and the 120mm aerocool fan I installed promptly burst into flames when I turned on the system, killing everything except for the ram, hdd, and video card. I lost a Barton 2500+, a DFI NFII Ultra Infinity (if the fire didn't kill it, it would have died sooon anyway. I had like 3 of them die on me for no good reason), an original Ultra (the almost good ones), and a Linksys network card. I was planning on upgrading anyway, so it just pushed it up sooner then expected.

*Eyes AeroCool fan on desk suspiciously...*

The most stupid thing I have ever done to my pc was plug it directly into a wall without using a surge protector. I lost the pc ofcourse lol :(

Back